Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water disappears

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,145
sounds like no one set your pressuretrol 1/2 lb cut in 1.5 cut out ,if set to high water shall leave your boiler in a attempt to stack in the returns to allow water to return by gravity ,and a good skim to remove oil and impurities will also help settle a bouncing water line ,peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• jim_173
    jim_173 Member Posts: 2
    water dissappears

I have a new steam boiler that as it heats up the water in the site glass disappears. I cleaned out the boiler(skimmed it), put chemicals in it to prevent surging etc. If the hartford loop is not exactly right will that cause the problem? Any ideas
  • disappearing waterline

do you have a low water cutoff on the boiler-maybe 2?
    that should keep the boiler from dry-firing.

does the water ever return? are your steam pipes, above the boiler,and the hartford loop,piped as per the mfgs. instructions?as you will know from here, and dans books; an inch of waterline movement is ideal.how much is yours? possibly water is being carried up into the mains by high velocity steam.post some pix of the pipes with measurements of the pipes dia. height above the waterline etc. and we will all try to figure this out.--nbc
  • Obvious surging,

if the near boiler piping is not to manufacturers specs, you can skim for days and never get it right.
    Chemicals of any kind are a bad move for steam boilers.

Dave
  • jim_173
    jim_173 Member Posts: 2
    water disappears

i have a low water cutoff that is working. the boiler has two outlets,both 2in. the boiler was piped out using only one of the feeds. the header comes acrosss and feeds 3 runs to the radiators. the site glass is 3/4 full and gets sucked up into the boiler pretty qiuckly. when the boiler shuts down the water flows back down and starts all over when the boiler kicks back on.
This discussion has been closed.