Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MAINs

add an elbows, and nipples; to put as many as many pipe bends between the new vent, and the potential rush of water-hammer attacks to your vents, so they don't become paperweights!--nbc

Comments

• John Barba_6
    John Barba_6 Member Posts: 55
    Vents located @ the end of the Mains

Hi:

I have a one pipe system with the vents tapped into the 90 degree elbow at the end of the mains where it drops into the drip connection between the dry and wet returns.

Some basic info...
    I have no water hammer.
    They worked fine for the first 5 years I have lived here (and probably decades) but I am replacing them to decrease the time required to vent the mains.
    They are in an elbow not a tee.
    I currently have 3/4" Gorton #1s mounted.

Should I move them or should I just leave well enough alone?

Short of moving them is there anything I can do to improve the efficiency (placing them up on a nipple, etc.)

What about replacing them with 1/2" Gorton #2s?

Thanks again.

Jeff
  • Fred Harwood_2
    Fred Harwood_2 Member Posts: 195
    End-O-Main Vents

If your system runs well at under one psi, you could try two Gorton #1s. Keep the nipple at 3/4 inch, and then tee and nipple to two 3/4 inch ells. Bush the ells down to 1/2 inch, and set the vents there. The tee and ells will help shield the vents,provided that all is well with your system. Keeping the piping to the vents at 3/4 inch allows full air flow despite the extra tee and ells. You want full ventilation especially when pressure is low.
This discussion has been closed.