Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heating water and pumping it to multiple aquariums

Derheatmeister
Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
Do you have everything plumbed together ? if so then you may use one heatexchanger and install it inline with your Pump with a setpoint control/high limit control piped in a primary/secondary configuration. but this all depends on the existing boiler and the situation that you have!

I hope you do not have a gas Furnace!Do you have Steam or hot water baseboard?

Is this a aquarium store? and if so are you keeping the New fish seperated from the rest of the larger tanks for monitoring ?

Sorry no pricing on this site but i can tell you that fresh water vs salt is cheaper to handle.

Comments

• John Bovie
    John Bovie Member Posts: 5
    heating water and pumping it to multiple aquariums

I have a fishroom (in basement) with 20 tanks (approx 1200 gallons) and 3 tanks upstairs (approx 400 gallons) I want to use a 125 gallon fishtanks as a filter for all the tanks and heat it with the gas furnace( mt friend said using a heat exchanger) and I would like to pump water to all the tanks (he said a circulating pump) from the basement to 1st floor I have heaters in a filter now but how would the heat exchanger heat the water in the tank (copper line in filter?)without adding more water to tank I dont know if this would work.Any suggestions would be great also how much do you think for parts and then labor(just to hook up exchanger to boiler and filter and 1 line out from pump I can do the rest of the plumbing to all the tanks) Thanks for any help John
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Salt or fresh water? Also what kind of temps are you trying to maintain? Third where are you located? I am guessing you are loooking to reduce your electric bill as warming 1600 gallons of water is like heating a small pool. I would look into a pool heat exchanger.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • John Bovie

freshwater heat between 76 and 80 degrees I am in neptune NJ and yes electric bill is about $400 running all these heaters and pumps thanks John
  • John Bovie

I have a gas heater and hot water boiler no this is my house breeding room downstairs and show tanks upstairs want to run it off exsisting heater anyway to run a pipe into filter to heat the water thanks John
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573

I still do not understand "Gas heater" is it a Furnace that blows warm air out of Ducts??

If not then:Check out a spa exchanger i.e. Triangle Tubes TTP or Maxi flow series .Triangle Tube is also located in NJ .i think i would have the filter before this.
  • John Bovie

cast iron radiators water not steam(sorry I am not a plumber)
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998

Stay away from copper! It will kill all your fish. I have built the aquatics lab at a local university. When using water that was filtered using reverse osmosis, the pvs piping gave of clorites into the water. We then had to install a 100 galloon charcoal filter and the univeristy had to ad a box of Arm & Hammer every two days!

I had 6 aquariums that used nylon and teflon piping with great success.
This discussion has been closed.