Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

In Floor Heat

bruce_21
bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
Use foil faced insulation, at least R-19 but the more the better, and leave an inch or so gap between it and the subfloor.

Comments

• Chad_10
    Chad_10 Member Posts: 2
    In floor heat can't keep up when cold

I had a house built in Wisconsin with an outside wood boiler and a propane boiler backup. The hvac contractor stapled the wirsbo under the sublfoor between the floor trusses. The subfloor is 3/4" and then I have carpet, wood floor and tile on top of that. There are no heat plates and the cavity is not insulated. When it gets in the single degree range outside the thermostats can't keep up. The water leaving the wood boiler is 180 degrees but when it leaves the water to water heat exchanger it is 140 degrees. i know wood is not a good conductor of heat so my questions are:

1. Is there anything I can do to get the water temp. hotter after it leaves the heat exchanger?
    2. Would installing heat plates and insulating the cavity help.(basement is unfinished so I have access) If so what do you reccomend.

any suggestions would be appreciated
  • kpc_45
    kpc_45 Member Posts: 29
    #2 is your ...

best bet. To go through 1 1/2" of wood then carpet is a lot to ask....I do not do staple up install w/o plates...kpc
  • Mike Dunn
    Mike Dunn Member Posts: 189
    staple up

I concur. And may the floorce be with you. That was for you JMB
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Ed Lentz_2 Member Posts: 158

I'm just a home owner who put his own radiant in. But, I think you would be well advised to put the plates in, AND use fiberglass insulation in those cavities. Install it so that it creates a pocket, it will direct the radiant energy towards the floor. I am in the middle of Michigan and my heating system is limited to 145, I have no carpet tho.

Good luck
  • Chad_10
    Chad_10 Member Posts: 2

thanks for the input, I wil try the plates.
  • claysdad0818
    claysdad0818 Member Posts: 5
    PEX Underfloor

You definitely need to insulate below the pipe, and leave about a 2"-4" air gap. Plates will help, but not as much as insulating. I'd go with at least an R-19.
This discussion has been closed.