Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

venting/bushing question

bill_105
bill_105 Member Posts: 429
I'm in the process of replacing my two main vents but can't budge the existing 3/4 x 3/8 bushings embedded in the elbows, so neither the Gorton #1 (3/4) or Gorton #2 that I purchased will fit. Would you recommend just switching to 3/8 Gorton #1's? Or should I put in a second bushing to expand the openings back to 3/4 and 1/2 respectively? I wasn't sure how much the diameter of the opening effects venting capacity. I was also planning to put the #2 up on a short nipple to get it away from the water return - does that effect the analysis? (There isn't enough extra clearance on the other elbow to lift the vent up and away from the return.) Any advice or other solutions you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Fred Harwood_2
    Fred Harwood_2 Member Posts: 195
    removing bushings

While awkward, you can remove the 3/8 bushing with a small hacksaw blade. Carefully saw toward the 3/4 bushing, keeping the saw aligned with the 3/4 bushing's sloped threads. Stop before you reach the threads. Take a good pin punch and hammer and sharply smack the bushing right next to the saw kerf, either inward or downward however you can. That should free it up. Then carefully unscrew it.
This discussion has been closed.