Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Periodic TT Solo Backfires?

Metro Man
Metro Man Member Posts: 220
My guess would be the ignitor. Had same thing happen to me on my boiler. Wife said it may a loud bang. Of course this started when I was out of town. Came home and fired unit up and BAM! Scared the @#$%@ out of me cause I was standing right next to burner. Pulled the ignitor out and watched it. Ran hot 6 times in a row during testing but on 7th ran hot then went out for a few seconds and ran hot again. Looked at ignitor and had a very small crack in it.

Good luck and keep us posted

Metro Man

Comments

• I have

quite a few TT Solo`s installed, and I have 2-60`s the customers are complaining about periodic backfires when they light-up.
    Not every time mind you, but I have heard them. The combustion-air intake and exhaust are fine, and it even does this with the door off.
    It`s almost like the pre-purge isn`t long enough. All my #s are well within spec.
    Scares the crap out of them though.
    Anyone else have this issue?

Dave
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    I would have to say your combustion #s have to be off just

enough. Call Greg in Tech support and go over them. Other thing, check your electrodes for adjustment, maybe spark too small and getting a little delay on ignition. Tim
  • Thanks Tim,

I will check the #s again, and contact Mr. Manna if need be.
    Does not impress the customer much(or me) if I have to take something new apart though, especially 2 of them.

Dave
  • I had this same problem

on a lp unit. We did everything starting with putting more methanol in the tank, checking regulators,ect.till it was all said and done I changed the ignitor and that fixed it but it was frustrating because I could never find anything wrong with the old ignitor but that solved it.
    TONY
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    Regulator

LP or Nat gas at what elevation?

I'd check the Regulator, sometimes it can get "Iced Up" take a hair dryer and "Warm it Up" or check the Screen/ Vent tube for Blockage.
  • Richard,

Natural, 0-2000ft.
    Does this even when it`s relatively mild, that rules out icing.

Thanks anyway though.

Dave
  • Here you go Tim,

I can see nothing wrong with these #s.
    I have an email in to Greg, so we`ll see what he says.

Dave
  • Derheatmeister

Have you talked to triangle about this ? Mike or Jim Nicholas at Ex 27 are very helpful
  • No communication yet Richard,

but I have the utmost confidence in Greg Manna.
    Like you, he`s a straight-shooter so I expect news soon.

Dave
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Backfire

This happened to me once on a peerless pinnacle. Sounds like shotgun blasts and will definately make an orifice pucker if you are not expecting it.

Remember to check the refractory on the combustion chamber. If it comes in contact with the ignitor or rectification probe, it can ground and create a potential delayed ignition. Chamber fills with gas/air, delay, delay, bang.

I chamfer off the refractory at a 45 so when I re-insert my ignitor and rectification probe after servicing, I ensure that there is not a potential ground issue.

That solved my problems, hope yours is easy to solve, but I would definately check that out.

Regards,

Paul
  • Thanks guys,

both Greg Manna & Guy Woollard from TT contacted me this AM with some more ideas.
    Although they may not speak here much, it`s comforting to know a problem with their product does not fall on deaf ears!

Dave
  • Metro Man
    Metro Man Member Posts: 220
    Please let us know what the final verdict is on the TT.

Thanks

Metro Man
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Dave, did you clock your gas meter to see what input was

with only one boiler running. I might be inclined to up my CO2 a little on high fire. I would verify with Greg but maybe up to 9.4 or so. Might be just a little lean. Clocking will also help you in checking this. Also check gap on electrodes for sure. Tim
  • Thanks again Tim,

but read my other post "Stupidity wins again",,, that should explain my luck.:-)

Dave
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Regulator creep...

I had one last week that the gas co. pressure regulator was allowing higher pressure to bleed through. It lit with a WHOOMP. My partner wasted a couple of days trying to diagnose why the boiler would only light intermittently.

Think outside the combustion chamber grasshopper :-)

After a long on cycle, and subsequently a long off cycle, the pressure would rise so high that the Honeywell gas valve could not open against it, causing it to go into a lock out condition. Tom would go and pull the gas valve, put it back together and it would fire again, until it warmed up enough outside to the point the boiler stayed off for a long period of time... It never fired with a whoomp on him because it couldn't open against the excess pressure. I just happened to get there right before it achieved maximum pressure.

Let us know what you find. Its probably more a misdirect spark than it is gas pressure.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Derheatmeister
    \"We\" want to Know

Dave, I do not understand ..

Was a broken Igniter the Problem in the first place?

Or was that something that happened as you where trying to Adjust it to fix the boiler from Back firing?

Did you get the "backfiring" fixed and what did it take to fix it?

Many here including me have lots of these boilers out there and like to know/learn from this!

Still guessing over the internet :-)
  • Derheatmeister
    \"We\" want to Know

Dave, I do not understand ..

Was a broken Igniter the Problem in the first place?

Or was that something that happened as you where trying to Adjust it to fix the boiler from Back firing?

Did you get the "backfiring" fixed and what did it take to fix it?

Many here including me have lots of these boilers out there and like to know/learn from this!

Still guessing over the internet :-)
  • Derheatmeister

Greg told me to check the igniter first and he gave me the measurements(see other post).
    I did, and found the rod measurements off quite a bit.
    I tried to bend the hooked electrode,,,and the rest I`m sure you can guess. :-(
    So I installed a new-one, this time I bent the ground rod(set to his exact measurements), and the problem seems to have vanished.
    Be sure to save that PDF in my other post, as I said, its NOT in the manual.

PS- To elongate the ground rod this can be bent slightly to reduce the gap,,, BE SURE NOT TO TRY TO BEND THE ELECTRODE!!!

Dave
This discussion has been closed.