Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

direct vent exhuast

George_40
George_40 Member Posts: 13
IMHO,

The 10'ft. "rule" applies only to an exhauster or mechanical exhausting systems and its intent was not to include a direct-vent condensing boiler. I believe the term "exhaust" when referring to a mod-con boilers can be misleading to some code officials. If you follow the manufacturer's installation instructions to the letter and refer the official to IFGC Appendix C and section 304.1 you should not have a problem. Depending on what the official cited (did he leave a sticker and if so what did it reference) he "may" have been referring to IMC 401.5 which in this instance should not be applied. Also see IMC 804.1 which specifically states to be in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

Good Luck!

Robert O'Connor/NJ

Comments

• jim burke
    jim burke Member Posts: 26
    direct vent exhuast

I need some help here about the code for exhaust on direct vent termination .
    I have a project in plainview NY with a buderus mod / con boiler and the exhaust & fresh air is 22 ft high thru side wall .Inspector say's this will not pass because it must be 10 ft. from property line . I have many job's out there and never had this issue before .
    Thanks for any input on this must resolve problem so i can get it resolved for a good client.
    There is a plumber(Hack) on job doing waste & vent's who is having a bad time with this job so i think it might have something to do with my dilema .
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Sounds like...

The AHJ is enforcing the NFPA standards...

You are in compliance with the manufactures

http://www.buderus.net/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=0cgZCcY9YoE=&tabid=77&mid=710

installation instructions. I guess all you can do is plead mercy and ask for common sense understanding and show him that you are in compliance with the manufacturers requirements.

Most reasonable inspectors are looking to limit their jurisdiction's liability. What liability will you have from a vent termination 22' above grade?

Worth a try...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998

NFPA in section 12.9.1 you have to be at least 3 feet above any forced air inlet within 10 feet. There is no rule for being 10 feet from a property line. We have been looking at the 10 foot rule due to icing on opposite buildings. If there is a rule, it is a local bylaw and not in the gas code.
  • jim burke
    jim burke Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for all

Thank you gent's for giving me some insight to this problem .
    I will speak with inspector tomorrow and try to come to agreement as to what he want's done .
    I try and do thing's by the book so if he want it he will get it .
    Again thank you for your time & knowledge .
This discussion has been closed.