Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil burner question

Options
Big Ed_4
Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,794
What Type and size nozzle are you using ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• TK03
    TK03 Member Posts: 54
    Options

I have a new install with Beckett Burner, V1 head in an MPO boiler. I cannot get the flame to stabilize after ignition. When ignition stops the flame gets smokey and noisey.
    I have checked "Z" dimension and yes I zeroed first, electrode adjustment, run new oil line and filter (Garber), new nozzle, checked pump strainer, pump pressure @ 150 Spec, 12% co2, "0" draft, 0-smoke, stack temp about 380f. I tried with baffles in and out. Exterior chimney about 8" x 12".
    Thanks for all help.
  • Ken Field
    Ken Field Member Posts: 127
    Options
    Me too

We had the same problem a couple of weeks ago on an install and I also need to find out why. We put the ignition on with the motor for now but if it comes from the factory interrupted, I'd raher have it that way.

Ken F
  • Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684
    Options

When you say the fire gets smokey, but you have a zero smoke,.. Im confused.

When you say noisey, could you describe it better? I'm having a hard time visualizing whats going on there.

Im just curious,

If jump out the FF terminals on the cad cell so that the burner is firing,.. what is the ohms resistance of the cad cell eye before and after ignition drops out?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Which MPO models

did you guys have? According to the Beckett OEM Spec guide, there are two V1 heads used on the larger MPOs- V1-0 with no static plate on the MPO-189 and the V1-3 with the 2-3/4-M plate on the MPO-231. Smaller ones use the L1 head.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Charlie Masone
    Charlie Masone Member Posts: 66
    Options

Call us, 1-800-OILBURN, ask for tech service.
  • TK03
    Options

Hago 45/W. If I let it run until the chimney gets hot it improves dramaticlly. Thats when I get the "0" smoke. On cold start it may shut down 2 - times.
    The noise is a rumbling as if the flame is leaving the head.
  • TK03
    Options

Hago 45/ss. If I let it run until the chimney gets hot it improves dramaticlly. Thats when I get the "0" smoke. On cold start it may shut down 2 - times.
    The noise is a rumbling as if the flame is leaving the head.
  • Ken Field
    Ken Field Member Posts: 127
    Options
    Ours was an 87

We haven't been back yet to reset it and troubleshoot as it was an emergency replacement job and got pushed into the schedule. I will check it and post back with any findings.

Ken F
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,794
    Options
    I Would Try....

.....a 60/solid or semi solid. Burnham has been recommending some odd nozzle sizes in the past. The were putting in Riellos .90 /80 with odd burner setting ,that ran rough and carboned up the end cone. I tend to first try the OEM and if it works great fine.

Wonder if the smoke is caused by a cold start ? There is a triple on the job right ....

• World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Draft

What draft does the burner spec? They (Beckett) generally askes for -.02 draft. When the chimney gets hot your draft increases. Check your barametric damper see if you can get some draft on start up. Also is there enough make up air? We had a simular problem with a Carlin. After we asked the lady to leave the basement window cracked open a bit the problem went away. Just some thoughts. My $0.02 would be look at the draft. If you can call Beckett from the job site at 1-800-oilburn they will walk you through diffrent steps to find a solution. Each case presents a diffrent cause.
    Mark
  • Bob Boltz
    Bob Boltz Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Beckett

From past history, I'd change from a 45 degree nozzle. I'll ask my tech's. We have a number of New Yorker/Burnhams with the same problems.
  • Al Gregory_3
    Al Gregory_3 Member Posts: 20
    Options

A 60 W delavan would work better
  • tk_3
    tk_3 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Problem resolved. The boiler calls for '0' draft in the breach. Rechecked all settings abd all were good. Used same nozzle as spec and raised pump pressure to 25 psi to 175. Beautiful flame, 12.5 co2, 0 smoke, stack temp about 375. Starts quiet and runs smooth.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
This discussion has been closed.