Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

finding a radiant leak in concrete

Derheatmeister
Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
Thermal Camera works good also i use a Audio listening devise ,or a laser scanner from the auto parts store may work,and if you believe in it the well finding technic works to:

#1: Take two pens(I used the papermate) take the case only

#2 Take two pieces of wire (Approx 18") bend a 90 angle at approx the length of the pen chase 5 1/2"

#3 stick the wire into the pen case and hold the cases in your hands approx 4 to 6 inch apart..

#4 hold the pen cases steady and try finding a body of known water i.e. a well or toilet.. You will know it when you find it: the wires will cross.

Once you "mastered" the fine art of finding a body of water
try it on your radiant leak!

Some say it's: "Hokus pocus" but it has worked for me before with in 8" at 3 feet deep

Good luck..

Comments

• Dan M_5
    Dan M_5 Member Posts: 1
    finding a radiant leak in concrete

has anyone had to find a leak in radiant tubing in 4" of concrete? (1/2" Viega hepex). I'm working on renting a thermal imaging camera, but seeing if there are any other options out there. The pressure seems to drop faster the hotter the tubing is
  • klaus
    klaus Member Posts: 183
    Devining rod

Heatmiester, I have a friend that does that trick to find buried field tile in farm fields. He uses a couple of pieces of bent brazing rod and swears by it!
  • ScottRW
    ScottRW Member Posts: 33

I actually used the brazing rods a couple weeks ago to find my daughter's sewer line in her back yard. Approached it from several different angles and came up with the same spot. Dug down 3 feet and Viola, found the sewer line. I'm a believer.
    Scott
  • Canuck_3
    Canuck_3 Member Posts: 39
    Damp Mop

Take a damp mop and mop the floor. You'll see the layout of the tubing as the floor dries, except where the leak is.
  • adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    !

For any Wallie, I'd be happy to UPS my cat to any address in the USA! She loves the warm spot at the leak! She finds it every time!
  • Scot_4
    Scot_4 Member Posts: 6
    Thermal Imaging Camera

Got a Volunteer Fire Dept in your area with one? For a small donation they might come out and assist you!! Be good to the Vollies its all some of us have.
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

Cats know
  • or , get a dog

Adopt a dog from the shelter. With a day or two, dog will lay down on the spot..
This discussion has been closed.