Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkin e14 e19 f19 codes - no power running on a generator

seabee570
seabee570 Member Posts: 89
had a similar experience last january when it was 18 degrees out.furnace hooked up to generator while replacing electrical service.it ran fine on power from power company,but when hooking it up to generator,it would start inducer,but not fire.you need a good ground at boiler.I had to hook up ground going to boiler to the house panel.(I know,its not safe.blah ,blah ,blah...but at 18 degrees I needed heat.I bet if you do the same it will fire.

Comments

• David Toppin_2
    David Toppin_2 Member Posts: 48
    Munchkin e14 e19 and f19 codes

I have a 199M that generally works fine since Ritchie fixed it last year, but I am fortunate enough to live in Holden, and we just lost power in the ice storm, I'm guessing it will be gone for close to a week. I have a generator hooked up to the house, and the Munchkin is giving me the error codes above. It also gives a d1 too. Anyone have any idea why it won't run? Is it too sensitive for the generator power? Thanks for any help. Dave
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    Bad Power?

Most High efficient boilers are very sensitive to the power conditions that they are subjected to!

Check if you have the polarity reversed and that you boiler is grounded proper.

Also check if your power has a true Sine wave.

If the power is "Dirty" then a power conditioner MAY help. I had good luck with a Good UPS(Uninterrupted Power Supply) from the Office supply stores just installed inline between the source and the Boiler.

Hope this helps Heatmeister.
  • m dewolfe
    m dewolfe Member Posts: 92

My first question would be what type of generator and does it have a neutral bond? How is it connected and how large is it. If the generator is lugging down your boiler will most likely lock out. Try to shut down all the loads except the boiler and se how you make out. feel free to email me directly with any other questions..15 degrees and no heat is nothing to fool around with
  • Dick Charland
    Dick Charland Member Posts: 178

Could also be the frequency, saw this with oil burner controls requiring 60Hz. Everything would run fine until they were operated off of standby generators and then the'd have nuissance lockouts. Check to see what the range required is and adjust accordingly.
  • G Averill_2
    G Averill_2 Member Posts: 48
    UPS

We had contractors with similiar problems in our ice storms last year.
    HTP told us then that the 925 control is sensitive to 'dirty power'. As Derheatmeister suggested above, we had them try a UPS from the local office supply company and the boilers fired off in good order.
    Give one a try.
  • David Toppin_2
    David Toppin_2 Member Posts: 48
    Munchkin and dirty power

Thanks for the replies everyone! It turned out to be a moist refractory gasket ( I think, th eone on the door) interfering with the spark. I had plenty of spark outside the boiler (with the gas off) and none when I put it back. Rich Swatton told me to ream out the gasket after taking the ignitor out of the hole, with a screwdriver to make sure the gasket was far from the ignitor. It worked. I'm not sur eif this was ever a power issue or not as I used 3 different generators, the last one being a new one that was giving me a good steady 120V, but it didn't fire until I reamed out the gasket hole. Dave
  • Honda generator

I have the same problem with a constant pressure well pump. It wont run on a older style generator.
    The newer style inverter generators have a very clean sine wave and are becoming more nessesary as our electronics ask for cleaner a/c.
    TONY
  • TimS
    TimS Member Posts: 82
    why is the refractory wet ? thats not normal!

Is the condensate blocked and backed up? You should verify it and fix it, flush it, routine cleaning combustion chamber, replace burner gasket, replace target wall and refractory, check combustion , shim up front of boiler to level or little bit more.
This discussion has been closed.