Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Aquastat question

Options
Pin
Pin Member Posts: 61
I know disconnecting it is the best solution. But unless it is easy to disconnect, I would rather not spend the effort to do it. That's why I am wondering what temperature I should set it at.

Thanks!

Comments

• Pin
    Pin Member Posts: 61
    Options

I have a very old American Standard oil burner that used to provide steam heat and hot water. When the coil in the burner started to leak, we cut the water source to it and install a water heater tank instead. Now the burner is strictly for steam heat.

There is an aquastat on the oil burner that is still connected. A plumber told me that I should turn it down to the lowest degree possible, which is 100, so the system won't keep maintaining the water temperature at very high.

My question is, what temperature should I set it at to make it the most economical and efficient in terms of oil consumption?

Thanks!
  • LIBOB
    LIBOB Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Aquastat

Its always best to set a boiler up to run all year, but in your case I would just disconnect the aquastat and run off the thermostat.
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    aqustat

Depending on the model you have may be a simple fix h/w with hi-lo and differencel (triple aqustatat) remove the red wire from high and white from diff. and bug together now you have heat on demand
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options

why not just remove a lead from the aquastat and cap it off? If it is a steam unit is the aquastat not a seprate unit?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.