Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

L408A-1157

Options
Another Vaporstat ? What the proper setting. I sat with it for 2 hours trying every combo I could think of it still short cycles.-

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=289&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    Options

it all depends on your system --,venting ,correctly sized boiler condition of wet returns etc.. etc.. the vaporstat is not a miracle cure for grossly oversized boilers ,, do you know the EDR of your radiators? and the EDR of the boiler ?
  • oil246gas

Never underestimate Jim, I would rest assured he checked most everything.
    Unfortunately dumb glitches plaque us all, right Jim?

Dave
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641
    Options

i hear ya, i don't know Jim -- its just on this site you never know the level of expertise ,whether a homeowner,junior mechanic-- etc. --
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Options
    Thanks Dave

I have yet to see a boiler(steam) sized to the EDR . After repiping the header and venting the mains , we had this baby purring for 2 years. Got there today , she was short cycling , skimmed the boiler , flushed the returns and cleaned the pig tails. Still running @ a40 second cycle.We did make sure the stats were level. Have a great Thanksgiving and Christmas .

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Might need to be flushed and skimmed again

we had a Vapor system where there was so much oil on the boiler water surface, when the steam finally burst thru the oil the pressure spike was enough to trip the Vaporstat. You could see the spike on the low-pressure gauge we had installed on that boiler. Flushing and skimming solved the problem.

That is, assuming the Vaporstat is actually tripping.... if it isn't, you might have a bad connection somewhere or an intermittent flame detector that's shutting the burner down and restarting.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tom_80
    Tom_80 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    short cycling

or could it be the heat anticipator setting on the t'stat that needs to be checked?
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Options
    Vaporstat

I could see the mercury moving . I reflushed the boiler . It seemed to do the trick . I got a call today all was fine Thanks Steamhead,Happy Thanksgiving

This discussion has been closed.