Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Effect of antifreeze on flow meters

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
with only 100 feet of 1/2 the panel and coil in the solar tank you should easily move 4 GPM or more with that circ.

Typically when the solar fires up the fluid is fairly warm, about 12F above the tank temperature. That glycol should flow easily at start up.

hr
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Tom_119
    Tom_119 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Effect of antifreeze on flow meters

I am trying to set the flow for a solar collector. the recommended flow for the loop is .75 gpm. I have a visual flow meter in line that has a range of .15 to .8gpm. The loop has a 50% glycol mix. total loop length of about 100 ft of 1/2 copper pipe. I have a taco OOR-IFC circulator driving the glycol mix. The flow meter indicates only .4 gpm flow rate when the circulator is at 100% power. This seems quite low to me and is below the recommended flow rate. Is the antifreeze throwing off the flow meter's accuracy? It is a Wirsbo flow meter and should be of good quality. would appreciate any insight. Tom
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Effect

Anti-freeze will have an effect. I don't know about Wirsbo but here are correction factors for Circuit Setters.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tom_119
    Options

Thanks omfor the info Bob. Tom
  • Tom_119
    Options

You're right about the restriction, the loop was partially air bound. I guess I closed the automatic air vent a bit too soon. Thanks for the input HR. Tom
This discussion has been closed.