Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

condensation in chimney of h.e. water heater

tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
Is the flue dedicated for the water heater. I question the inducer on a high efficiency water heater. Usually not allowed. As far as the condensing, should have a base drain tee and drain?? It kinda sounds like there is something wrong with the application on this one.
Tim

Comments

• ed m
    ed m Member Posts: 65
    condensation in chimney

replaced a.o. smith coil water heater in nyc,in the spring,now get a call back for it leaking.ends up being condensate combing back from chimney.they called a chimney guy he ran a new chimney which goes outside the buliding into a shaft and up 50 ft to above the roof,which also has an inducing fan. still not working,any ideas? does the vent have to be insulated?
    thanks
    eddie
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

condensate forms when the flue gas temp does not stay hot enough to keep the water vaporized. maybe not enough btus to keep a giant masonry exterior chimney hot enough to keep water vapors from condensing. Maybe a b-type vent (double-wall) liner & cap.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Eddie,

I'll bet you're using a Cyclone water heater or similar?

I don't think there's any way to incorporate an inducing fan into an effective design with those appliances.

The few ways to vent that water heater are the ways the manual describes. Deviating from the factory's plan is not a good idea.

Good luck.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
This discussion has been closed.