Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oversized steam boiler

I'm new to this heating stuff but have a background in things similar. It would seem to me that plugging one steam port wouldn't do you any good. The volume of steam produced would remain the same but now you're trying to get that same volume out one hole rather than two so the velocity would go up and higher velocity might mean wetter steam.

The volume of steam being produced needs to be lowered and this means lowering the heat like you do to a pot on the stove.
To lower the heat, you have to lower the flame so I guess it all depends on whether you are able to adjust the burner enough. The downside of this is if you lower the flame too much the boiler won't make steam. You're idea of calling Peerless is what I'd do. Maybe they'd have some ideas that could help you.

Comments

• Frank_62
    Frank_62 Member Posts: 16
    oversized and improperly piped

I looked at a job the other day with a five section peerless steam piped in copper. It comes up six inches to a ninety on both risers to a half a-- equalizer to the a half a-- hartford loop. I told the client that we would repipe in iron proper A dimension loop equalizer main vent ect. The boiler based on existing edr is too big. He doesnt want to incure expense of a new three section. I told him even repiped it may short cycle. It has two-two inche risers available its gas,it goes into a two inche main. My question if I plug one riser port releasing the steam slower to the main will it help any potential short cycling. I am going to call peerless to see if they allow it. the boiler is only five years old. just so you have complete info customer complaint going off on low water high fuel bill (near boiler piping and short cycling) any thoughts greatly appreciated. thanks
  • Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    Unless the mfg

can have you properly down fire it you may be stuck. Re piping may solve some issues also may show others.

If you are totally re piping whats the added cost of a boiler itself in the long run of fuel bills.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • kpc_44
    kpc_44 Member Posts: 29
    gas or oil?

gas you may be stuck. oil you could drop a nozzle down to a point.....
This discussion has been closed.