Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensate pump is flooding and not triggering

Options
whats the number inside the switch cover? did he change the whole switch assy or just the contacts? the float mechanism where the seal is can stick at times

Comments

• sreja
    sreja Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Condensate pump is flooding and not triggering

We've got a really strange problem with an older condensate pump, i'm hoping an expert here might be able to shed some light on.

Basically we have an old condensate pump for our boiler.. It's been making very loud noises for a year or so and our old HVAC contractor advised replacement based on the noise being an indicator of problems, and based on really rusted and worn away contacts on the condensate pump switch.

When we had new work done, the new HVAC contractor advised repairing it instead.

He replaced the switch and tested the motor to make sure it was good.

However, he's been back about 10 times now trying to adjust the condensate pump switch and float.

Basically what happens is that it works for a while, but after a couple of hours it fails to trigger and water overflows from the top. Almost every adjustment (im not sure what gets adjusted), it seems to work and then happens again.

It's not the motor -- it's just that the switch doesn't trigger electrically -- i can always manually force the switch on or off.

A clue is that after i manually force the switch, it will work on its own for a few more cycles.

He was able to make an adjustment in the other direction that seemed to work for a day but then the condensate pump stuck in the ON position and never turned off.

SO anyway,
    The question is: what could be causing this insanely sensitive/finicky behavior of the condensate pump switch?? It's left me and the HVAC contractor completely mystified.

Help!
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

The contacts themselves do go bad. Sounds like a new switch / float assy would do the trick. The spring that connects the float to the switch on some models could be bad. Many styles out there. Float could also be flooding slowly and manually running the pump allows it to drain. A new tank is piece of mind...go with a CI tank.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
This discussion has been closed.