Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Advice and suggestions Please

Options
Mark Custis
Mark Custis Member Posts: 539
The supply line for leaks?

Comments

• Jack Mazzuchelli
    Options
    Replacement burner

I have a Mc Lain sgo-3 with the QB180 burner. It is giving me fits with intermittent stopping on safety while running.I believe everything replaceable has been including today the Carlin 60200-02 control. The old was only on its 3 season.
    Seems most everything I read about that QB180 is rather,shall we say negative :}.
    I am about to trash it unless there are other options.
    I found 2 replacement options:
    Carlin EZ-1 with the same 60200-02 controller or a Beckett AFG. I like the pre and post purge etc of the Carlin control however; Which in the opinions of those who know a heck of alot more than I would be the better?
    Replaced: inline filter,pump filter,cad cell,nozzle, cleaned boiler as best I could, yes it was ugly, ran 2 soot sticks once I got it fired.
    Really interesting that it quits when running,attempts the recycle and then quits on safety.Reset and it will run sometimes for days other times one cycle.
    thanks
    Jack
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL FROM ME AND MINE TO YOU AND YOURS.
    HI DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    dirty burner

does it have enough fresh combustion air? that soot must be coming from some adverse condition.--nbc
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    The QB-180

is a good burner when set up properly. I think there may be, as others have said, a problem elsewhere in the system that's causing this.

Have a real good oil burner man monitor the pump pressure, supply line vacuum, electrical supply voltage and anything else he can think of.

If you do decide to replace the QB, I'll take it off your hands.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    check the ohms?

Had a call just tonight. the burner goes on safty ,runs a day or ten min. had a carbon build-up at end cone you cad see this or use a multi-meter be sure you eye is less than 1500 ohms just a thought.
  • Tim_41
    Tim_41 Member Posts: 153
    Options
    electrodes

check the electrode settings. Sometimes the wires will get brittle that attach to the electrode. Also, look for cracks on the porcelin. I also noticed on my parents that when I would tighten the electrodes, the settings would change.
    Did you use combustion equipment?
    Good luck
    TimS
  • David Hohengasser
    David Hohengasser Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Honeywell relay

I had the same problem with my mother-in-laws's burner. It was also stopping during firing with no pattern. Turned out to be the safety relay switch. I think it had a weak solenoid which explained why there was no pattern. Replaced that and have not had a problem since.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    New burnham boiler cycling

I own a 2 family house with basement. Replaced old gas steam boiler with Burnham Independence KIN8S (245000 BTU INPUT) 644SQ. FT Steam. The boiler is cycling approximately every 30 sec0nds ON/OFF from pressuretrol settings.My pressuretrol(L404F)Main setting position indicator set @ below 2.0PSI @ Diff. position set below 0.5PSI. Verified CUT OUT & CUT IN pressure using pressure gauge on boiler (0-5PSI range). Cut out pressure measured 2.4PSI & Cut In pressure measured 1.5PSI. This calculated a subtractive differential of 0.9PSI. My question:
    Is my boiler is OVERSIZED for my house causing cycling? Does Burnham sell conversion Kits to reduce boiler output? Is my pressuretrol working correctly? I cannot adjust the CUT OUT pressure less than 2.4PSI. Is the pressuretrol the correct model for my boiler?
    Any help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Mike
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

this needs to be a new topic, or thread.

T
    Just a guy running some pipes.
This discussion has been closed.