Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trianco

Options
Mark Custis
Mark Custis Member Posts: 539
.65 what, GPH? Angle? Hollow? Solid?

80 degree at what gph and psi. Beckett ships at what? 100psi?

what was the lenghth of the air tube?

What kind of testing was done to insure proper combustion? Then and now?

Just a few thoughts.

TTFN

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Trianco boiler ID

Well, I've finally got up the ambition to rehab my own boiler while I still try to decide whether or not to stay w/ oil. Might as well get the thing running the best it can before someday tossing it. I had taken off the touchy OEM Reillo for 3-4 years in lieu of a junk AF Beckett while my basement was open to the elements (dug out crawlspace for new Bilco doors, long story:)). The Beckett was bombproof, but Mr. Trianco did not like to see the 80 degree spray and I have been constantly cleaning soot from the unit. I had an inspiration last week and resurrected the Reillo and put it back in-the basement work is done now.

Problem: I can't find a model ID on it. It's a Trianco, prolly c.1992-ish or maybe even older. Riello 3M, firing .65 @ 160 psi. It is a wet/dry base hybrid, with the boiler drain on the bottom of the boiler, but the return tap is ala dry base (above the firebox). It has thin oval firetubes, about 9 maybe, 5" smoke pipe. The smoke pipe has to be pulled to get the flue collector off to clean. She probably is rated 100K BTU max. No chamber.

It's not a DBC, cuz I have changed plenty of those saggy fireboxes out. It's not the model w/ the flat plates that like to drop down to the firebox and melt your hands trying to get them back up on the supports.

I need to check the Reillo's spec for this boiler so as to have the thing set up right. Thanks for any help!
  • Paul B._5
    Paul B._5 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Old Trianco boilers

Hi Bob,

Any chance you can post a picture?

If it has oval fire tubes, it's a model that was discontinued by Trianco long before Laars purchased them.

I'm thinking it may be a TRO, or a TOC model. Riello set up information on those is sketchy at best - you may have to do a nozzel fit test to determine the best set up.

Paul
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    The

Beckett was a cast off from some long ago junked boiler, or maybe even a furnasty :) The blast tube actually was just about the right insertion out of the gate! I stuck a .75 80 in there @ 140 and let her rip. It had an F6 cone and the 2 3/8 static plate-close enough. I wasn't looking at long term for the boiler so much then, just keeping it running while the house was being reno'd. Three kids later, and money being tighter, the 'ol Trianco is starting to get a stay of execution. I gotta tell you, I have grown to respect this unit..It froze twice to the point where the tankless coil gasket area had dripped and formed a long icicle to the burner air tube. The OEM 007 freed up only after my wife had held a heat gun to it for 1/2 hr, and I started to hear ice chunks being churned up by the impeller..we brought it back to life..(we were not living in the house yet). Good times..split pipes, thank God for Hepex, and steel boilers..I think;)

One of the Beckett issues is that it was firing into a chamberless firebox, something the Riello shines at. The Reillo just didn't like to ingest gusty freezing air, and cold, cold oil. It would kick out on reset erractically, and that's why I threw the Beckett on for the time being. There would be a lot of times when I would come up to the house to work, after doing HVAC work all day, and the house would be frozen up. I had a 8'x8' opening in the foundation wall in anticipation of Bilco doors/steps. I had plastic-ed off the hole sort of loosely, and a lot of times wind had torn off the plastic letting the elements in.

Mark, the Riello is OEM to the Trianco. .65 60 solid, which is most likely right for what it is firing into.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    thanks

Paul. I woke up this morning with a thought there was a "T" in the model, just couldn't think of any more letters. Definitely older than before Laars got into them.

From the top, it looks like a Thermodynamics dry base with the oval slots, and it uses a heavier version of the short "baffles" to slow down the flue gasses-They are straight vs. the wavy style from TD.

Somewhere, in my files, I have a Reillo setup chart for Trianco. I've had it since around 1991, and it has all the Trianco models from the time on it.

.60 or .65 60 @ 160 is about right if memory serves. 45 degree is too narrow, 80 not happening in the Mectron 3. It's the drawer and the air I wanna check. You know how sensitive these are to changes.

I'll try to get a pic up. You guys will laugh. I have pex strung up all over the place, etc. Work in progress. Now I'm LOL!
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315
    Options

Hey Bob, if I remember right the Riello's and cold oil is an issue. I think I remember that an A nozzle helps solve the problem.

• Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 539
    Options
    Grab your

combustion analizer, draft gauge and smoke tester and set it up for current conditions.

We found out what causes kids and stopped doing it. They can be expensive.

If you do not like what you see then make some changes.

I assume you have sealed the basement.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    just

looking for a baseline, and model ID, for my own morbid curiosity.

I can play around all day w/ my Testo and/or wet kit ;)
  • Bob Bona_4
    Options
    been there

Paul, hollow seem to give a "softer" start in some tough situations. However, I see "caving" in of the pattern at high pump psi, and traces smoke as a result. Think shower curtain effect when taking shower. Could be draft related, maybe not- you increase air, and then you get the delay. You know how small the window is for fiddling on Reillo. (Not talking about my own house).

Inclination is B or ES. Square firebox, no refractory to speak of. Maybe this weekend I'll dig for my burner archives.

How's Ffd boiler move looking?
This discussion has been closed.