Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vitocontrol-s

Options
hvacfreak
hvacfreak Member Posts: 439
Yes , with no reply from the guy who performed the initial set up , I spoke with thier tech support all day Friday. What that does is teaches you how to really dig in to the O&M...it's then I realized that there is a " general " level of parameters and a " cascade " list of parameters ( by reading after tech support can't tell you what's wrong ). 6 hours later I realized this and entered the basic section and stuff started working. I didn't change anything , I just entered into this menue.

I see many controls from many different manufacturers...this one strikes me as just failure. This has no place in a commercial or institutional application in my opinion. Perhaps best left for the European millioniare in his castle with onsite personel who have nothing but time for this...I just know that I do not.

Comments

• hvacfreak
    Options
    I now fully understand...

...what the " S " stands for. This control would do justice to a full dumpster as a cherry to a bananna split.

Short week comming up , much to be thankful for. Thankful for still working , good friends , great kids dental visits ( both my kids have perfect teeth as the dentist told us yesterday ).

And as long as the Vitoden-S control has the boilers on in the AM at the elementary school that it is installed , life will be perfect. And if not , I will go get some clamp on aquastats and get the school board involved. Yeah...lack of support from the supplier all the way to the convoluted user interface ...document parameters that exist and the control wont follow , etc. And I'm thankful I only have one of these to contend with.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Have you called...

Viessmann tech services? Sounds like you're having a programming issue. I would not count on the supplier to help you program. There are very few who know how. Deal directly with tech services at Viessmann, and life will be perfect.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hvacfreak
    Options
    so...

let's say this is a fantastic control if..

you like Celcicus reference instead of Faranheit ( spelling )

text only with no graphics

no emergency options...only thier view of what reset values should apply

This is great control for the year 1995
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Here is what I would suggest...

Give Viessmann some feedback. I doubt that this controller is a high-selling item and Viessmann has resold other manufacturers goods under their own name in the past. If there is a better cascade controller you know of, they may be keen to know as well. For example, Tekmar had some gear in this direction, if memory serves me correctly.

Some aspects of the Vitotronic 200 continue to baffle me. But then again, I only took the course there once and I don't update the controller regularly. In the end, I made a point of writing down every setting in my configuration with the settings I had determined worked best, printing a copy, and storing it next to the boiler. Whoever follows in your footsteps would probably sing many hymnals in your praise if you did the same (along with a narrative to explain why).
  • hvacfreak
    Options

A Tekmar would be too good to be true.

• hvacfreak
    Options
    Hijacked thread

I really don't care one way or the other about this brand , my complaint is with a controller. And no , I'm not ready to go on some perpetual O-Ring Jihad with the hijackers of my thread...so...carry on , sorry to disturb you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YczYC2yHTM

And thanks Constantin...I hear what yor saying...yeah , I was kinda frustrated on my last reply. There is a resistor in place on the outdoor sensor , a relay switches to another resistor to simulate warm weather shut down. I think the problem is somewhere in this area ( resistor selection too far apart maybe ). Fulton has a nice control for thier larger modulating / condensing units by the way.
  • Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 396
    Options

Sorry man I just thought it was funny. I really like Viessman products. I install Knights primarily. I really agree about the controls though in critical situations the simple way is the best way. I know reset can save some green but bulb aqua stats are hard to beat for reliability and easy to set up. Honeywell actually makes a mechanical outdoor reset control. I have used it and it works well and is very reliable
  • hvacfreak
    Options
    what should be

http://www.modsync.com/index2.php

So , I feel bad for the brand name on here , so lets say that people are stepping up to the plate to make this thing work. It should be like the the control in the link for sure though .

Time to scan for duct tape , wire and C4...sheabmushalifdangourO-Rings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YczYC2yHTM

• Chris Norton
    Chris Norton Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Vitodens

I have installed too many of these to count in both commercial and high-end residential applications and they do work if the installer takes the time to educate himself about the product he is installing.

Viessmann has a great set of classes on every boiler they sell. I went to them BEFORE I started installing the product. Give it a try. It makes a difference.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    S controls

are built to your specs..... now if you "Inherited it" or the interface that was provided by the building cannot make that communication jump , it is not like its "On You" to Make it work..

i think you may be better off going with the individual controllers for each boiler, setting them up with small differentials for lag lead..and finding who had it made to interface with what..
  • hvacfreak
    Options
    S - sometimes

Well , it gave me something to do for a couple of days. But this device is " stand alone " for sure...the BAS just energizes a relay to enable it. I think we now have all of the parameters set to maintain the setpoint we need , just as long as it starts when needed.

I've been through all of the menues , explored each parameter , and I'll just keep my opinion to myself. Maybe my next project will involve something I can relate to like programming and tuning a generic PID controller with multiple stages of operation based on varriable feedback sources of a process. With no " homegrown " terms like " flowtemp ".

• klaus
    klaus Member Posts: 183
    Options
    S controls

Have only installed one of them, to modulate two Vitodens boilers. Had problems with it too. Still seem to get a phone call every few months. The boilers are great. Have installed a number of them and they run great.
    But this control. We have got to know the tech support quite well. Actually find Veissmann support excellent, but get the feeling this control is their nightmare too.
    The whole idea of redundant boilers in this place was for backup. Why did they have to give this control soo much control, that it takes over the brains of the vitodens, which shuts them down when this control has a problem.?
This discussion has been closed.