Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Burnham IN6 gas boiler -Is something clogged?

Options
Ted Robinson
Ted Robinson Member Posts: 126
We have just started running the heat on a National Grid deal, Burnham IN6. My added run time meter is presently on 13.5 hours, just a 'baby'.

Once fired up, the standard gauge moves up to a rather high reading of 8 psi,while the extra gauge sees no increase in pressure. The pressuretrol set at < 1psi and I doubt it has reached cutoff yet. The probe low water cutoff does cycle every 20 minutes.

The standard pressure gauge, 0 - 30 psi is installed on the left side, tapping B. The pressuretrol and a 0 - 15 psi gauge are connected to tapping H. The boiler was piped with two, 2 in risers and a 2 in drop header.

So, is this high internal pressure normal, or does it indicate an internal problem?
The Pro is due back soon for a boiler water skimming procedure.

Comments

• Sounds like

the standard gauge is shot . Was it connected directly to the boiler ? Or was it after a pigtail ? Here's an install we did yesterday showing where we pipe the gauge . They seem to last alot longer with the protection of the pigtail . But truth be told , alot of them are junk right out of the box . And if you hand tighten the gauge all the way you can screw up the dial too .
  • Ted Robinson
    Ted Robinson Member Posts: 126
    Options

Thanks for the alternate suggestion.

The supplied "internal siphon" gauge was threaded directly into the boiler tapping. It does rest at "0", and then go up many psi during steaming. My second gauge is installed similar to your method.
    And if the boiler was actually at 8 psi, my testing of the pressure relief valve would be far more dramatic than it is now.
This discussion has been closed.