Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cleaning outside of steam pipes

Options
Taylor_4
Taylor_4 Member Posts: 55
I'd appreciate advice on cleaning the outside of steam pipes, and sealing fittings. I have an 80 yo steam system that was not well maintained. I'm on at least boiler #3, and the reason boilers don't last is because the system drinks water every day during winter time.

Qn #1: Any good product for getting the corrosion off the outside of the pipes? This corrosion is around the fittings.

Qn #2: Any advice on what to do with leaking fittings that I believe are the reason this system is losing water? Local supply store suggests epoxy on the fittings, any alternative ideas? Taking apart and putting back together again is not an option, some of the pipes disappear into walls and anyway I'd be dead if I tried taking apart this system with fittings welded shut by corrosion after 80 years.

Qn #3: I've had to take apart some pipes for some framing work (sistering damaged joists). The pipe threads have paint on them after asbestos abatement and that's getting in the way of putting things back together. Any suggestions for getting paint off the pipes? Heat gun?

Thanks for any help.
This discussion has been closed.