Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Loud Hissing Noise

Options
CR_2
CR_2 Member Posts: 2
I have steam radiators in my apartment that have the typical chrome, bullet shaped valve. Every radiator makes a hissing noise so loud that I can hear it from the other end of the apartment. It sounds like a tea kettle. I have also noticed white residue near the open/close valve on the floor. My management company tells me that this is a normal sound for the radiators to make. I don't agree with them, but am having a hard time finding information online about it. Is this indeed a normal problem, or should I bring it to my management companys attention again?

Comments

• Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Options
    Just because

everyone else does it, does not make it normal :)

Have someone from your management company hang out here now and again.

Hissing vents usually can mean several things:

1) Too much steam pressure (most buildings need less than 2 PSI, many run on one pound or less.)

"The entire Empire State Building heats on 2-pound steam. What makes your building so special?", is a question I often ask.

2) Your main vents are either clogged, missing or non-existent. (Missing is the same thing but at least they were there once, removed and the nipple capped.) Without decent if not generous main vents, your poor radiator vents have to do all of that work.

If air cannot get out, steam cannot get in. Fuel bills climb and your management company has no idea of the money they can save for the building owners and by extension, you the renters.

The white residue? Could be anything from high mineral content (meaning leaks and excessive make-up water, a vicious cycle), or your last party was a real knock-out. :)
  • CR_2
    CR_2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Bleeding

Thanks brad! My management company said maybe the radiators need to bleed. I have heard that this doesn't work and that it does. Any opine?
This discussion has been closed.