Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What size oil steam boiler is needed for a total EDR 60,000?

Options
klaus
klaus Member Posts: 183
Unless you're also switching to gas?

If so you can't beat W/M's 3" risers on the EG-line. If oil is it, the Burnham is best.

Comments

• Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    Options

I am replacing an Oil steam boiler. My total EDR is 60,000 for all radiators in the house. Is a Weil-McLain SGO-3 model with an I B R Steam 354 Sq Ft ok for this installation. It is the smallest steam boiler they offer.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    That would equal 250 square feet EDR

must be a pretty small house. For that load I'd go with the Burnham MegaSteam 288. It's a much better match for this load- 288 square feet as opposed to 354- and is more efficient and easier to service as well.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • JackR
    JackR Member Posts: 125
    Options
    Ditto

I agree 100% with steamhead, go with the Burnham Meagasteam, it is in a class all by itself. The MST288 would be perfect for your application and much more efficient than a SGO3
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carey_3
    Options
    WM Oil Steam

Brent,

The SGO is an oil fired, cast iron wet base, steam.

Are you also using the boiler for your domestic hot water with a tankless or indirect?

If so, the contractor may be allowing the additional load for your DHW requirements.

Also, I agree, you would love that Burnham Megasteam if you got it.

JMHO

Ed Carey
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Or for a boiler that can burn either oil or gas

try the Smith 8 series, called the G-8 when set up for gas. Here's one we just installed, with the gas burner, and the piping changed around a bit to re-use some existing 4-inch pipe in the header.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.