Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler work...

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
Please, chime in...

I always thought I worked hard. As an alarm installer, electrician for 10 years, and so on, but I have a whole new perspective these years. My hands are cracked & cut, and 1 finger burned and one smashed. Between moving rads, boilers in & out, and all the miles of pipe, this profession is not exactly a bank teller job. Even a plumber has a water heater occasionally, but it seems that this work requires nearly the biggest items ever found in a home to be moved with great care, and at huge efforts..but I love it. The rewards go far beyond the final payment, and people for decades will say "damn, this guy was good". As the owner of a small business, there is soo much behind the scene work with bidding before & after dinner and faxing before bed and 5AM meetings and countless parts runs that no one ever expects to be included in the invoice. The cust on my last job complained the heat was off for 2 days and it never got below 40 at night with highs in the 68 range. I work until 9PM the other night to get it fired and the next day, "it was too hot" because they did not program the t-stats and left them at 80 because they wanted to see how long it took to get that hot...the public...what do you do...and to have the dicipline of many here to analyze, follow new innovations, read up on new product, learn the formulas, do the heatloss, and do the level of work they do, and keep a family happy is just remarkable.

Point is, this is a brutal line of work, and the sweet, fast service calls go with the week long re-pipe and boiler removal and exposure to all things found in a old house. I love it now at just under 40, but I wish I could see myself at 60 and know how I will feel...

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• k
    k Member Posts: 38

Your work ethic, final product and knowledge is second to none. The client is making a big mistake. (They probably just want to beat you up on price).

Don't sweat it.

This discussion has been closed.