Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pressure on steam

Options
I'll have to look into it.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• mark ransley
    mark ransley Member Posts: 155
    Options
    pressure on old steam

I have an old 1,000,000 btu kiwanee 2 pass steam Ng, the high pressure limit was set to high at 5 lb cutoff, I lowered it to 2-lb yesterday. I heard someone say 1-lb could be ok, should I set the boiler at 1-lb steam cutoff. What is the benefit, I believe lower pressure will put less stress on the boiler, will it be more efficent, its a long corner building with maybe 100ft run.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    steam pressure

see my other post--lower the pressure to 12 ounces--get a good gauge and vaporstat.it will put less pressure not so much on the boiler as on your pocketbook!low pressure steam travels faster with more heat content than high pressure steam and costs less to make!
    you may need some good main air vents on the long steam lines in your bldg to fill them quickly.
    also check the quality of the water in your boiler-you would be surprised how much more fuel it takes to boil soup than water.
    here's an analogy:if the brakes on your car are dragging,would you just put your foot down more on the accelerator to compensate?--nbc
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Nick's right

the system should fill with steam on a few ounces pressure. If it doesn't, you've got other issues. Once everything is fixed, you'll be surprised how fast and efficient the system is.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • mark ransley
    mark ransley Member Posts: 155
    Options

Nick, what other post, could you list the question it was posted as. I guess its time for a good book to learn what "pros' here dont know. My boiler guy, and that is all they do is boilers still says 2-3 lb. But he screwed up a HW boiler install for me, the boiler was blowing the over pressure safty untill he reluctantly [ to get paid for another job] installed a second expansion tank, the one he put in was to small. I bet they never reads about anything to learn whats up to date.
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Options
    low and fast!

Steamhead's right!! I just completed an install where the system pressure was always 2 - 3 pounds ... for the last 10 years. I dialed the pressure back to 10 ounces using the Siemens controller on the Riello burner. Steam all the way to the 3rd floor in 15-20 mins as compared to 1.5-2 hours before. We still have some venting issues to deal with but what an amazing difference with low pressure!!
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Thanks, BG

and I've never heard of that Siemens controller, can you enlighten us?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Options
    Siemens RWF40

Optimized temperature/pressure integrated electronic controller for use by OEM
    Good for multistage and modulating burners, easily integrated with outdoor sensors and building management systems.
    I was sold on the product because I was told I could set ultra low pressures. NOW, I am a believer.
    I actually had the controller set to modulate @ .2 psi. The building actually had heat in places where there hasn't been any for years. The burner idled at about 20% after a 23 minute warm up - 4 story 5946 EDR
    Installing 2 more boilers with the same control system and have solid orders pending for 2 additional units which may not happen until next year.
  • Sved
    Sved Member Posts: 2
    Options
    boiler pressure

Our boiler builds up to 4.5 psi, shutting the burner off. Burner comes back on about 2.5psi as long as timer is still calling for heat.
    I want to drop the cut off pressure as you suggest but am concerned about the differential between off and on being too close and cycling the burner every minute or so.(I can only change the heating cycle in 5 min. increments).Off at 10 oz. and back on at say 5 oz. with a shortened heating period seems too narrow.
    Would it make sense to set off at 2psi and back on at 1psi if heating cycle is still in operation?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    First thing to do

is to see if the entire system is full of steam before the pressure rises past 1.5 pounds or so. If not, you probably have an air venting problem that needs to be fixed.

If so, the boiler is probably oversized or overfired.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
  • davide
    davide Member Posts: 2
    Options
    RWf 40 siemens

Hi,

I have a painting plant and the oven are heated with burners. For command all of plant I have a PLC.

can I command the RWF40 instrument with plant PLC by 4-20mA signal for regulating burner's gas valve? or is possible only by 3-point regulation?
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    RWF 40 Manuals

I already posted this to davide's question over in Strictly Steam and then ran across this discussion.  I have some of the manuals for the RWF40 and if anyone is interested let me know and I'll post them.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.