Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pressure releif valve

anthony_24
anthony_24 Member Posts: 25
Well bladder on tank must have spung a leak. Tank was full of water. What I want to know is
1:Do these tanks only last only 5 years?
2:How do I size a new one (60# now)?
3:Any favorite brands?
Thanks Again for your help
Anthony

Comments

• anthony_24
    pressure releif valve

I have a hydronic heating system with a 30# relief valve that lets out water every once in a while. What could be the cause? Should I get a higher rated relief valve? The boiler is aWeil_Mclean cg8, gas boiler.
    Thank you.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

check actual water pressure in heater. If you have an old expansion tank, it might be full. If you have a newer bladder-style expansion tank, you might have either lost the air charge or the bladder failed and the tank needs to be replaced. Any pictures?
  • Couderay
    Couderay Member Posts: 314
    Relief valve

NEVER up your relief valve very bad things can happen. You have an expansion tank problem as stated in the other post.
  • lee_7

How was tank installed, position wise? Vertical or horizontal? With threaded connection up or down. It can make a difference in reguard to bladder life span. Size of tank depends on water volume of system.
  • anthony_24

Threaded pipe facing down. How can you determine how much water?
  • lee_7

We only install thread up, so that tank is below pipe that way bladder always has water against it and not air.
  • John_227
    John_227 Member Posts: 1
    Weil Mclain CGI-8 relief valve constant drip

What would cause this? Pressure is at 40 psi. Thanks.
  • anthony_24
    leaking relief valve

What temp should aquastat be set at? If I make it low the valve does not leak, the house does not get warm. If I make 180* it lets out a little water when the pump shuts off.
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    questions...

Time to call a pro?

You have C.I. radiators, copper fintube baseboards or other radiation?

Did it used to heat fine at 180°?

Boiler pressure should be in the 12-20 psi range not 40PSI! At this pressure relief valve should close tight, if it still drips a replacement (30 psi) may be needed.

#60 expansion tank's a pretty decent sized tank unless you have a LOT of radiation volume.

If 180° isn't heating you may have an air block and need to purge system or to bleed radiators. Alternately you may have dusty or blocked baseboards.
  • anthony_24

I have radiators, and ar 180* house heats excellent but releif valve will leak when pump shuts off.

• If the pressure reducing valve that feeds fill and makeup water to the boiler is leaking, it will cause the system pressure to increase slowly until it will come out the relief valve periodically. The release will usually happen when the circulator stops.
  • JERRY_26
    JERRY_26 Member Posts: 1
    CHURCH HEATING SYSTEM

WE HAVE A BOILER WHICH HAS A RV SET AT 30# AND THE UNIT IS RUNING AT 25#,AND YET IT KEEP LEAKING. ALSO THE EXPANSION TANK KEEP FILLING UP WITHIN 5 MIN AFTER DRAING. CAN YOU HELP THANKS JERRY
  • anthony_24

Are they repairable?
This discussion has been closed.