Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fresh Water Makeup

Nelson_6
Nelson_6 Member Posts: 24
I recently purchased a home with an oil-fired one-pipe steam system. My automatic feeder is replacing about 2 gallons of water per week. All of the piping is accessible for inspection and the only leak I found was related to the packing on a radiator supply valve. I tightened the packing, but I am still losing water somehow.

What is the normal amount of fresh water makeup for a residential steam system?

Comments

• Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Ideally very little

Absent a bona-fide visible leak, you may have buried mains which of course would be undetectable under normal circumstances. An IR scan might help.

Otherwise, a leak above the waterline might be the source, steam up the chimney. Flooding the boiler to just above the steam chest might show reveal water in the combustion chamber. Not a good sign of course.
  • Nelson_6
    Nelson_6 Member Posts: 24
    Found the leak

Thanks for your reply Brad. I ultimtely found the leak. There was a large radiator in the garage that I valved out because I did not see any reason to heat the garage with high fuel prices. Anyway, I got to thinking that maybe the valve was leaking by. Sure enough...I shut down the boiler and once everything had condensed, I opened the valve to the radiator and all the missing condensate drained back to the boiler. I am going to have the radiator blanked off since I do not plan to use it. -Thanks
This discussion has been closed.