Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is this valve for?

I thought my eyes were going! ;)


  • JohnL
    JohnL Member Posts: 38
    What is this valve for?

    What is this valve for? it turns right to left but I don't know what it does...
  • Looks like

    an old style adjustable relief valve.
    If so, whatever its on, do yourself a service and replace it.

  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,039

    Are there two pipes running to it, or is it at the end of a run? If two pipes, it is a balancing or circuit setting valve. If it is at the end of a run, it is a relief valve as mentioned.

    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • JohnL
    JohnL Member Posts: 38

    only one pipe. Here are additional photo's
  • JohnL
    JohnL Member Posts: 38

    Here are additional photos.
  • Matthew Grallert
    Matthew Grallert Member Posts: 109

    relief valve. find out what it's set to and replace it.
  • Couderay
    Couderay Member Posts: 314

    I think the camera might need replacing too. ;-}
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,054
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

  • JohnL
    JohnL Member Posts: 38

    Ok, here we go with a diffrent camera. I am going to replace the boiler soon (with a condensing mod) but haven't decided on which one.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

    watts # 530 adjustable relief valve
  • As bob says,

    that looks like the old Watts adjustable RV, similar to #22 or #11(not adjustable).
    My pic shows another, but you had to remove the cover for the adjustment, on yours the knurled knob facilitates,, who ever knew(or was certified) to its calibration.
    I still say you should replace it.
    On the #22, you had to drive-in lead plugs to re-new it if it blew(used to give you extra plugs).

This discussion has been closed.