Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wire mesh supports

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
is what they call them around here. Find them at any steel supplier that has rebar or mesh, generally. Not usually found at home centers or lumber yards, more of a steel supplier.

Go with the continous rail bar chairs. They support mesh better than the single chairs, and don't sink into the foam insulation like the small ones. they come in a variety of sizes 1/2" increments usually 3 feet long.

Under mesh they need to be every 3-4 feet to do much good or the mesh just sags down between them. it takes more than you might expect to hold all that mesh up where you want it.

Tie the mesh, chair, and tube all together with the ties. this assures the tube stays up, the chair doesn't tip over, and the mesh stays in the pour without floating.

Keep in mind the chair dimension if you score the concrete with a cutter afterward!

Slabs do perform much better with the tube up in the middle as opposed to the bottom of the pour. it's worth the time to do this.

Stay away from rocks or bricks to hold mesh up :)

hr
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• antman
    antman Member Posts: 182
    Options

I know I have seen supports to install under wire mesh for concrete overpour radiant installations where as to place the tubing in the middle of the slab when tied to the mesh. Does anyone know the name and a website where I might find these?
    Thanks
  • Bob Vennerbeck
    Bob Vennerbeck Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Rebar and mesh CHAIRS

At least in these parts, what you're probably looking for are 'chairs' - searching 'rebar chairs' finds various kinds of mesh, wire, and rebar supports.

Here's one:

http://www.durajoint.com/content/RebarChairs.aspx

Good luck!

Vbob
This discussion has been closed.