Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air Cushion versus Diaphram Tank Sizing

Options
Quick question: If I have a 30 Gallon traditional air-cushion expansion tank, what is the formula to size an equivalent appropriate diaphragm tank?

Second question: Most specs for the diaphragm based tanks cite total volume and acceptance volume, which volume value is the one that I need to use the output of the question above to indicate the right size?

Thanks!
Al

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Brad White_202
    Brad White_202 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    That is not a quick question, no fair!

Hi Al!

Truth be told, we rely on Taco Net to do our selections. OK secret is out :) But do give it a try!

Second question, it is the acceptance volume you seek. The entire tank in a diaphragm configuration is not usable for expansion.
  • Al Roethlisberger
    Al Roethlisberger Member Posts: 194
    Options
    Taco Net requires more info than I have

Heh, well I downloaded the Taco Net software, but unfortunately it asks for more info to calculate the recommended tank size than I have at hand, such as total system volume.

So since I already have the 30G "air cushion" tank "answer", does anyone know a conversion formula to "go backwards" and give me the correct acceptance volume for a bladder tank?

Thanks,
    Al

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Brad White_202
    Brad White_202 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Al

e-mail me off-line tomorrow. I can send you a spreadsheet I developed to figure out volumes. Just enter linear feet by pipe size. I use this all the time.

In the meantime, I suggest that you try plugging in hypothetical numbers to see what sizing does.

If it is any help, my last two single family home piping systems held between 45 and 50 gallons, all told. At least that is a range, for what it is worth.
This discussion has been closed.