Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Swivel Joint help

Billy_11 Member Posts: 13
I have contacted 5-6 plumbing supply houses in my area and not only don't they have swivel joints in stock but they've never heard of them either. Is there another name for these fittings? Do I just use standard unions instead? Is there somewhere online? I did a google search and came up empty.


  • Brad White_200
    Brad White_200 Member Posts: 148
    What is it that you are trying to do?

    If it is to allow for expansion, do you mean a swing joint?

    There are pre-engineered assemblies, such as Metra-Flex, which are made in a number of configurations, often braided hose with threaded, grooved or flanged end couplings.

    American Boa is another and there are other names still. But knowing your application can get us started.

  • Billy_11
    Billy_11 Member Posts: 13

    AAACCKKK! There's my mistake. Yes swing joint. Yes, the bolt coupling installed between the risers coming out of the boiler and such. I've attached a photo.
  • heatguy
    heatguy Member Posts: 102

    those are called pipe flanges they are sold by pipe size have fun
  • Billy_11
    Billy_11 Member Posts: 13

    Called supply houses and they still don't know what a swing joint is. The closest I came is from Pex Supply and it's called a steam flange union. Is this the same thing?
  • Brad White_200
    Brad White_200 Member Posts: 148
    Heatguy has your back.

    That is a pipe flange. Make sure that you get the right gasket kit for steam use, not the usual red rubber. Graphoil might be an option.

    Are you sure you want to be doing this? I mean, no offense but it is too easy for exactly the wrong thing to be described, agreed to, installed and put under pressure. This is a safety thing.

  • Billy_11
    Billy_11 Member Posts: 13

    Yes you're correct. It has been thoroughly explained to me. I was really getting my uses and terminology mixed up. I'm sticking with a standard union.
    Thank you for your help.

  • Hi- Those are nice flanges! I really like the web reinforcement. Anyone know the make/manufacturer?
    My mother, who lives in Maine, really got took when she had a new boiler put in her old single pipe steam system. They didn't even insulate the mains! I'm going out to visit her and try to straighten things out. Living in California I know zip about steam. Have ordered Dan's books so that should help.
    Question -Is there any purpose in using flanges other than convenience for assembly and cleaning?
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this board. Reading the posts has advanced my knowledge a lot! -Rod
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,077
    they are made by Anvil company

    and we like them because we like to leave ourselves ways to get back into the piping should there be a need to..

    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

  • Gerry - Thanks for the info on the flanges.
    I took a look at your website- You do really cherry work! I've a background in hydraulics so I really appreciate your excellent layouts and engineering -very professional! I wish you were closer to Maine!
  • Actually

    What you have in the picture is a "Flanged Union" The pair is bought as a single unit with the bolts and gasket. They are in effect the same as described by others above. Any supply house worth its salt will have them. but of course you gota know what to ask for.... ;)
  • Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    to get rid of the key-bounced 2nd post...

    as the sender, you can edit it, edit the second one, and delete the contents and the subject and repost - the forum usually just kills it or at the very least it should take up very litle space - this it a problem with many "forum"'s software - it's a stupid bug that the software should be able to easily catch!!!
  • Billy_11
    Billy_11 Member Posts: 13

    The first time I saw the term "swing joint" I just assumed they were a union of some sort. So I was incorrectly asking the plumbing houses for the wrong thing. Now I know what a swing joint is as well as a flanged union.
    Man this site and the people on it are great.
This discussion has been closed.