Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HB Smith Mills 640 Series

Options
I am lookin g at the whole system and doing a heat loss wit hthe help of an engineer. I am looking for info on the boiler and the actual btu output.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mills 640

Can any one tell me where to get info on the 640 series HB Smith Mills boiler? I found info on the 650 but wasnt sure if it is the same.
    It is steam and is firing 20 gph of oil. We are looking at replacing it but i would like to have info on this beast. Any help is appreciated.
  • kpc_36
    kpc_36 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    if you are replacing it....

you really need to look at the system and connected load more than the boiler. 20 gph is a lot of oil!
  • oil246gas
    oil246gas Member Posts: 12
    Options

depending on the burner that 20gph figure may not be actual --i work on a Lot of burners that have 50,60,70,-100 gph rated nozzles but that does not mean they are burning that rate --they are variable and high and low fire modulating--many adjustments can be made to change the actual firing rate ---anyway if you have an apatment building that is 50 units or so that # is probably pretty close ------------BUT the boiler you have there is probably way ovesized ----for steam systems you need to measure the conected load-thats how to size a steam boiler --the heat loss calculation woud have helped when sizing the radiators,and placement
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options

I have information on that boiler but it is in my office at work, If you can count the mud drum nipples that will tell me the # of sections and I can give you the rating---If you can wait until Monday. Or you can call Smith boiler in Westfield, Ma on Monday. There # 1-413-568-3148

Ed
This discussion has been closed.