Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

american district steam co.

Options
described on pages 261-262 of "The Lost Art of Steam Heating". It was known as the ADSCO or Atmospheric system.

It's basically an Orifice Vapor system that also pulled the air from the system by using the chimney draft. You may find the old condensing radiator still hanging from the ceiling.

It had a very sensitive damper regulator which kept the pressure very low- ounces rather than pounds. This was needed since there were no traps on the radiators. The low pressure kept the steam from entering the dry returns. To keep the pressure this low nowadays, you'd use a Vaporstat instead of a Pressuretrol.

The cylindrical condensate receiver you describe may have had the damper regulator for the old coal boiler as part of it, or may not have. I'm really not sure. But those numbers next to the glass are ounces of pressure. The receiver was installed with its bottom at the water line of the original boiler.

I don't believe I've ever seen an ADSCO, but it should be pretty easy to restore. Orifice Vapor is about the simplest system out there. If you need help, Warrenton isn't that far from Baltimore.

"Steamhead"

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• jim o'rourke
    jim o'rourke Member Posts: 1
    Options
    american district steam co.

i am working on an old house in warrenton virginia. there is a device on the system with a tag from american district.it is in the return line on a two pipe system.it is similar in appearance to the device on a brommell system.it has a long gauge glass running the vertical length with numeric graduations.this device is installed well above the water line. is this some kind of trap.is there any catalog or technical publications available? i know the american district steam co. was bought out and changed names in 1880. does this mean the device (and house) is older than that. there is still coal in the old chute. any info is appreciated. jim
This discussion has been closed.