Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Changing from scorched air to hot water question

Bob Bona_4
Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
to take out the risers, fishing pex thru sheetmetal ducts is scary. The insides have all sorts of sharp edges, screw points, etc. The humanity!

At the very least use a pex al pex product that stays pretty stable when heated.

Comments

• Matt_51
    Matt_51 Member Posts: 7

I am planning to change from scorched air to hot water and need to know if I can feed the pex tubing from the basement to the second floor through the existing ductwork. If that is not recommended then I am limited to running from the basement up to the attic and then down to the panels in the second floor rooms.

Any other suggestions? I am all ears.

Thanks
  • kpc_36
    kpc_36 Member Posts: 21
    I have converted...

both my homes.
    The secnd I ran up every interior wall I could and then found a corner to box in to another set. I used 1/2" pex and used panel rads.
  • rip em out

In my place there were three 5" risers going up interior walls from the main trunk in the basement to the second floor that I disconnected from the boots then yarded on from the basement & dicarded. I then fished 1/2" pex up through the resulting cavities. I don't see any real reason not to route it through the old risers but in my case it was easy enough to get them out.
This discussion has been closed.