Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sticker Shock!

Options
2»

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    just

picture a ductless split product like Sanyo/Mitsubishi/Fujitsu, etc. Wall mount is most likely what you'd be looking at.
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    Fuel Comparisons

Angela

This is a worksheet I made up a few months ago. I put in your usage of 1200 gallons and 76% efficiency that you claimed. I compared it to an 85% efficient boiler so you could see the differences. Assuming fuel rates unchanged, it shows savings over 1 year and 5 year based on different fuels, and different 2 different efficiency levels.

A couple of points to consider
    1.) Future fuel costs are probably going to continue to rise, therefore your payback period would shorten.
    2.) Cost of installation is not likely to go down, so if you elect to do this 2 years from now, you will have lost those years of potential fuel savings, plus likely pay more for the installation.
    3. A more fuel efficient system would potentially make your house worth more - the tax man doesn't see this, but the potential resale value of your home could be somewhat higher if you intended to sell it in the near term.

The most important thing, be sure you have a capable, qualified contractor - he will be worth paying more for.

Hope this helps you in your decision.

My $.02

Glenn
This discussion has been closed.