Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solar input

Options
singh
singh Member Posts: 866
has just called me , he's considering solar thermal for hot water heating. He has been in contact with a "solar" company, but apparently they left him hanging and stop returning phone calls.

After a lengthy phone conversation we agreed to meet next week. But this is what he has:

Needs : 1000-1200 gals of heated water per day @ 76*F - 80* F.
(Tropical Fish biz)

Currently heating water with indirect and oil boiler, mixing valve before fish tanks. HWBB, for space heat. After exchange the spent water ( @ 70* F) is dumped outside.

My thoughts, without seeing job yet was to recapture the the 70* water with a HX. Also size collectors to no more the 50%-60% of need. To save on collector cost, and prevent excess solar heating, especially in the summer. 80* water should be easy to achieve, by recapturing spent water and pre heating current indirect.

I'm open to evac-or flat plates, apparantly the solar guys wanted to used some kind of pool collectors, seasonaly. So he may be in for some sticker shock, however if I size and spec components right I should be able to prove a very quick payback, given his usage.

He went from $2.50/gal for oil last year to $4.50. And that my friends is a lot of guppies!

Thoughts?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=377&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Incoming water temperature?

where is the building located. Flow rate or how quickly do you need to fill the 1000 gallons.

I saw these at Calgary this week. They could size and build the HX for the drain water BTU recovery www.watercycles.ca

Download the free RET Screen at www.retscreen.net and run all sorts of load possibilities

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.