Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What control

Options
I've their products before. They will custom make a liquid level switch for you

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    What control

should I use?I want to shut down the oil booster pump if/when the main oil tank runs out of oil.Right now the booster pump is controlled by the pressure switch on the "day tank". Thanks!
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    I am thinking

You can install a a set of relays after the burner primay control and before the line voltage on the lift pump . If the system runs out of fuel and the burner drops out it will kill the pump. To prime the tank jump out the pump relay.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Aren't there,,,

sonar based level indicators out there? I know there's one for a brand of ice machine to shut it off when the bin is full. Don't know if it's being applied in the oil industry. Next off I'd say some kind of float switch but you'd have to look around for one, again I'm not aware of any for oil tanks but there could be. Probably German. ;)
  • Larry C_13
    Larry C_13 Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Day tank pressure switch.

What pressure does the day tank pressure switch measure? If it the pressure of a column of oil, AND the lower limit is low enough, use another one on the main tank. Just the other sex contacts.

For example, when the day tank gets down to 6" of oil, it turns on the booster pump. When the day tank gets up to 24" of oil, the pressure switch turns off the booster pump.

Install a switch on the main tank. When the main gets down to 4" of oil column, open the line of the booster pump pressure switch and reguardless how low the day tank gets, the booster pump will never turn on until the main tank gets above the reset point of the pressure switch.

Obviously, the setpoints are sight specific, and you will have to take precautions about sludge clogging the switch, etc.

Larry C
This discussion has been closed.