Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3 way 24v zone valve?

Options
If your system uses more than one pump, you could use one
120 volt relay wired in parallel with each pump and then
wire the contacts of the relays in parallel so that any one
of them connects the 3-way valve to a 24 volt transformer.

Rollie Peck

Homeowner

Comments

• James_19
    James_19 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    3 way zone valve????

I have a Taco SR504 switching relay which is hooked up and running correctly with 4 zones. My problem is I have a 3 way 24volt valve that I need to wire somehow so that when one of the 4 zones, thermostats call for heat and turn on pumps, then opens the 3 way zone valve? Any help would be great.

Thanks
    James
  • Rollie Peck_3
    Rollie Peck_3 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    3-way valve

One easy and inexpensive way to do it is to connect the primary of a 120V to 24V transformer in parallel with the pump and the secondary to the 3-way valve.

Rollie Peck

Homeowner
  • James_19
    James_19 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Yes I have 4 pumps, 4 zones and 4 thermostats wired to my SR504. I just need something to send a signal or figure how to wire the 3 way valve so I believe the b port opens when one of the 4 zones call for heat.

Thanks
  • Rollie Peck_3
    Rollie Peck_3 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    3-way valve

Hi James:

The Taco controller will connect the two "X" terminals
    anytime one of the pumps is energized, enabling the boiler burner to come on.

You could wire the 3-way valve across the gas valve if it is a gas boiler or the burner run relay if it is an oil burning boiler. However, the transformer in the boiler may not be able to handle the additional load. It could handle the additional load of a small relay with a 24 volt
    AC coil, however. You could wire the contacts of the relay to connect the 3-way valve to an external 120v to 24v step down transformer.

I'd like to send you a drawing, but don't know how to do that on this website. Send me an Email at rol72@earthlink.net if you would like a drawing.

Rollie Peck

Homeowner
  • gerry_6
    gerry_6 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    I wonder if

maybe the normally open side of three way valve supplied the heating zones and the normally closed port would supply the priority zone DHW thats easy to get wired, one zone calls for heat valve opens, think about it?
This discussion has been closed.