Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circ Pumps

Options
The critical dimension does vary between 6-3/8" and 6-1/2" and the discussion should be limited to the residential line of course. Even in that range there is a LOT of variation in capacity of course.

The current crop of ECM circulators (Wilo, Grundfos), naturally are geared as much for the replacement market as the new construction market, so, yes, they would tend to match. Add to that, the ability to modulate flow to pressure takes a lot of guesswork out of getting the right circulator operating point.

As for stocking these for replacement, that is tough. They do cost more and sometimes "the cost factor" rules. At 4:00 AM, you will reach for what you have and carrying these in inventory, while I would applaud your foresight, would absorb some capital on your part. If you can afford to, sure, why not?

I agree totally on the rotating flange shut-offs. Makes those rakish 45 degree angle chorus lines look really sharp too!

Either way, I cannot think of a better application to use ECM circulators, subject to economic analysis of course. If replacing because you have a failed circulator or it is new construction is easy. Replacing for energy savings payback takes a little math.

My $0.02

Brad

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Circ Pumps

In the "olden days" of circulators, it was easy to swap out one brand of circ for another.And have no problems. But does this hold true for todays variable speed circs/motors and the new ECM circs?This is from the view point of service and inventory for truck stock.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    I think it's easier now!

Flange to flange spacing is common across the board for most pumps out there now,(Taco,Grundfoss,B&G and Wilo all fit into the same space.) Flange orientation is sometimes different, so a movable flange with shutoffs is becoming popular, as are the four slot design that Taco recently introduced. Chris
This discussion has been closed.