Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus vs. Viessmann

Isn't 87% efficiency the same no matter who makes the boiler? C'mon what does the expensive one do the other don't? It all seems like a bunch of horse hockey to me. Please put it in terms we all can understand. Thanks

Comments

• jawman_2
    jawman_2 Member Posts: 4
    Buderus vs. Viessmann vs. Weil Mclain

Money aside, which boiler is the better boiler.
    Looking to replace my old new yorker, and have been quoted 3 mfgs of boilers, buderus, Viessmann, and Weil Mclanin. if money was not an issue, what mfg would you go with. The reason why I say $ aside are that the 3 quotes are with-in 500.00 of each other.
    more details..
    Buderus 115/3 or 215/3 with reillo burner, and outside reset controller.
    Viessamann Vitorodd 100 vr1-27, riello burner, and outside controller.
    weil Mcclain, burner ? no outside reset.
    any suggestions ? any commnets ? any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    The Buderus and Viessmann

are both 3-pass boilers. These are much easier than a vertical-flue pin-type to clean if they get dirty. The W-M is a pin-type if it's a Gold, and a 3-pass if it's an Ultra-Oil.

Go with the 3-pass.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,555
    Can't

go wrong with either Viessmann or Buderus.What type of ODR on the Viessmann?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399
    All are fine products

But anyone of those can become very expensive paperweights if installed improperly. My advice, go with the contractor who proved value, has testimonials that he knows what he's doing and will stand behind his work. Nothing else really matters, does it? Also check out the Burnham Alpine and Triangle Tube Prestige. Other fine choices...

Rick
  • k
    k Member Posts: 38
    ODR

the quote mentions a TACE PC 700 ODR w sr502exp relay. does that mean anythign to you ? Thanks for all your responses. it does help me.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,883
    Yes ...

Thats a typo and should read TACO PC 700.

That is a neat outdoor reset control that works fine. It plugs into the SR502 exp(andable) relay box. It is a very simple easy way to gain outdoor reset for the boiler.

Thats a good choice.

Scott

PS: Go Viessmann or Buderus but as others say, shop the installer. Anyone can mess up a good boiler but a great installer can make it shine.

• Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399
    Oh it's oil...

Missed that, it's usually the mod-con discussion when mentioning Buderus vs Viessmann... My bad
  • Robert O'Brien
    Rick

The question is about oil boilers,the Prestige and Alpine are gas

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Money aside....

...the finest oil boiler made is the Viessmann VBC Vitola with chassis burner and Vitotronic 200 control. It costs more than the Vitorond with Riello burner, but has the lowest emmissions and highest efficiency. It's also quieter than the Vitorond.

• Todd S_3
    Todd S_3 Member Posts: 4
    Vitola

Is truly in a class of its own. You can also convert it to gas by simply changing burners which is a nice option.
  • k
    Vitola

Vitola is out of my price range.. 13K, vs the vitirod about 6K. huge difference, and I dont think its really worth the money difference. Thanks
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    Huge!

The Vitola is also much larger than the others. I had pricing on it and it was not that much more. We are not suposed to talk prices here so all I will say is that I would confirm that with printed literature from the Mfg.
  • k
    homeowner

as a homeowner, how can I call the mfg and see about sugested retail ?
  • Robert O'Brien
    I

can tell you the Vitola/Vitoflame/Vitotronic is a whole different league price wise than the Vitorond 100. It's also in a league of it's own quality wise. One is the entry level,the other is top line.
    Some people have to have a 7 series BMW,some are happy with the 3 series.

• Robert O'Brien
    87%

isn't always 87%. AFUE is a very poor tool to compare boilers and particularly boilers that are used to make DHW as well.Most pin type oil boilers have AFUE's in the 86% range.Do you really think a pin boiler is only 1% less efficient than a Viessmann?
    In reality a Vitola in a high temp system will not return the additional investment beyond a Vitorond in any reasonable time frame if at all.That doesn't mean I don't want one! I'd like a Mercedes too! But I drive a GMC.
    I'd go for the Vitorond with either a Tekmar 260 or HW AQ2000,they both incorporate DHW control that the PC700 doesn't.

• Dperg
    Dperg Member Posts: 12

With the expandable zone panel that has priority the pc 700 and the post purge,priority protection, and pump exersise plug in cards I Think it does as much as the tekmar.
This discussion has been closed.