Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast Iron Radiators

Options
bill nye_3
bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
I just did my cousin's new house a few years ago. We used cast iron rads and cast iron baseboard and some radiant in-floor.

We used TRV's and I "home runned" all of the radiators to manifolds with pex tubing. The house is on outdoor reset, very, very comfortable!

Comments

• MDuane
    MDuane Member Posts: 2
    Options
    cast iron radiators

I am installing a new system in an older house. The owner wants standing castiron radiators. Should I install a one pipe system with moniflow tees or is there a better way? It is a single story house with the radiators above the heating mains.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

I'm a bit confused. What present form of heat?

Frankly, were I installing a new system using cast iron radiators I would not consider anything except two-pipe with TRVs.

In my area, both one-pipe and two-pipe systems with iron rads are fairly common. One-pipe is almost always in wide-open commercial space while two-pipe is almost always in homes. The only one-pipe residential system I recall was in a smaller home with an unusually "open" floorplan for the day.

If a condensing/modulating boiler is to be used I would not--ever--consider a new one-pipe system using iron rads.
  • kpc_32
    kpc_32 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    ditto....

I would home run the to manafolds too. I did the same thing w/ my own home w/ panel rads. The pex was easily snaked up walls...kpc
  • MDuane
    MDuane Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Bill I like your idea about using manifolds to distribute water to the radiators. I cannot use pex tubing because I am an old timer & it is my house. I will have 7 radiators thus will have 14 1/2 lines coming back to the manifolds. I do not know what you mean by TRV's could you explain.
This discussion has been closed.