Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant tube installation on top of slab......have questions

Options
klaus
klaus Member Posts: 183
"What is the best way to make sure we do not have heat loss down into the existing floor???"

I don't know your location/ climate but I can't imagine doing a job like this without insulation. Even if you just went with 3/4" - 1" of pink board you're going to get a substantial thermal break that you need.

Energy is not getting any cheaper. Don't send it needlessly into the ground when you,re trying to heat the space above it. Don't forget to do the edges while you're at it.

Comments

• Jim_142
    Jim_142 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Radiant heat on top of slab.

I am looking at a residential aircraft hanger with an existing 4 inch concrete slab floor. The owner wants radiant heat and wants to pour concrete over the existing floor. What is the best way to make sure we do not have heat loss down into the existing floor???

Thanks for your help! Jim
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    Insulation

I would use something like Crete-Heat.
  • Derrick Ellefson
    Derrick Ellefson Member Posts: 64
    Options
    No insulation

I'm not sure that you would want insulation in that application. You would have lots of stored heat so when that huge hanger doors opens it would recover in a hartbeat. Do some heat loss calcs with out isulation and see what your water tepms are.
    Otherwise put 1" or 2" isulation down like Creat-heat (great product) and cap it with a 4" pour. My 2 cents
  • Don Regan
    Don Regan Member Posts: 43
    Options
    1\" Crete-Heat is available...

This application is one reason why we have developed this product.

Thank you all for your business!
This discussion has been closed.