Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

condenser runs alot

What is the outdoor temp in your neck of the woods?Does the small line out by the condensing unit have a "sight glass" in it ?If low on freon ,there would be "activity" in the glass.If there is not a sight glass,hold the small line and "become one with the line ,grasshopper",and you may be able to feel the surging of liquid ,then vapor,,over and over.If yes ,then it is probably low ,which means a call to a pro.Under "normal conditions" the air temp should be about, around or near 20* ,+/-,5* lower than room temp,depending.When was the system last serviced? A pro will tell you if the compressor is still good,leaking internal valves causes a long running time.Good Luck!

Comments

• steve_164
    steve_164 Member Posts: 10
    condenser runs alot

I have my thermostat set @ 77, and it seems that my condenser runs alot. What should the temperature be if I would check it at a register? Could I be low on freeon? The unit may be 15-20 yrs old. Thank you for your help
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Register Temperature

At 50% relative humidity in the occupied space, the supply air temperature should be in the range of 17 to 20 degrees cooler than the temperature in the occupied space. This is assuming that the duct system is completely sealed. The best places to measure the "supply" and "return" temperatures are right before and right after the cooling coil or air handler. The reason for this is that, if the air distribution system (duct system) is not properly sealed, you might get false or otherwise inaccurate readings.
    Eugene
This discussion has been closed.