Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

why is heating not working?

Leo_15
Leo_15 Member Posts: 20
If a coil is shot the flow can slow down but not always. What happens is a mineral build up which acts as insulation preventing heat transfer. If you have a lot of minerals in your water it can have a bad effect, especially on a well. I've seen coils last from five to twenty plus years. It depends on water quality. The mixing valve has a few parts inside one being a spring which gets weak over time due to the heat. The kit in mentioned contains a spring among other parts.

Comments

• madison
    madison Member Posts: 2
    why is heating not working?

My domestic hot water is not working. I have an oil fired hot water boiler to heat the house with a domestic hot water coil insert. The heat in the house works fine, when you turn the hot water on it stays hot for seconds and then goes straight to cold. No puddles around it, and the mixing valve seems to be working fine.
  • Leo_15
    Leo_15 Member Posts: 20
    Often it is

Often it is the mixing valve. There is a kit available to fix it. If that isn't it the coil is shot. It could also be a bad aquastat not keeping the boiler warm or a boiler low on water. That is why it is important to call in a professional so the proper things are checked.

Leo
  • madison
    madison Member Posts: 2
    further questioning

if the coil is shot, does that mean that the coil has a leak? and if the coil is leaking, wouldnt the boiler pressure be higher than normal?
This discussion has been closed.