Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Proper Steam Boiler Firing Rate

Options
between the time the burner starts and the time the boiler begins to send steam into the mains?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
    Options
    Proper Steam Boiler Firing Rate

Just had a Smith Model 19 6-section boiler cleaned and had the firing rate increased from 2.5gph to 3.5 gph. The boiler is rated 6gph, but it is 50% too big.

I ran the system through a complete steam cycle to see how long it took for steam to heat all the radiators, although I did not wait for pressure to shut off, with the cost of oil:)

Please tell me if these times sound reasonable for a cold start, i.e. 75* water. All times are from the start:

Steam first starts: 13 minutes
    All mains hot: 20 minutes
    Rads start to show heat in first section: 23 minutes
    Rads 1/4 of sections hot: 28 minutes
    All rads 100% hot and can hear a few noticeably venting: 33 minutes
    Condensate pipe 30-feet from boiler gets hot: 48 minutes

Does this sound about right?

Steve
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    Options

The steam starts leaving the boiler in 13 minutes.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    You might want

to upgrade the main vents, especially if you can hear them venting. 7 minutes to fill the mains is a bit long, though you do say the radiators heat pretty much evenly. The rest of the time intervals should be OK.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steve Garson_2
    Options

The venting that I hear is on four radiators. The main vents get hot long before the radiators. The mains are vented per your advice a year ago.
    Steve from Denver, CO
This discussion has been closed.