Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Phase III with water under it on the floor

Options
Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
something similar and found a tiny leak on the threads of the Pressure relief valves. It wouldnt tighten enough to stop leaking, so I took it back out and wrapped several extra wraps of teflon tape and then used a hardening pipe thread sealant and let it harden overnight. S'all OK now but it was a little leak that was easy to over look. I used paper towels to dry the area and then to monitor it to find the leak. It ran down the inside of the tank and looked like something worse than it was at first. Hope this helps. WW

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=255&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Dan_53
    Dan_53 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Phase III with water under it on the floor

We have a Phase III hot water heater that uses boiler water to heat our DHW. I went downstairs today and noticed water under it on the basement floor (probably a quart or so). I felt the pipe that comes from the pressure relief valve, and it does not have any noticeable water on the end.
    I then tested the relief valve (which is 150 psi and the appropraite btu/hr for our boiler), and it released water and then shut off completely. So thinking that the relief valve isn't bad, what other instances would cause there to be water on the floor? It doesn't smell like glycol (boiler water). We have a pressure gauge near the Phase III which reads 65 psi.
    Thanks.
    Dave
  • bill_97
    bill_97 Member Posts: 172
    Options
    When a Phase 3 leaks

it'll usually increase the water pressure in the boiler , which will pop the boiler relief valve . What is the boiler pressure ? Can you get a bucket under the boiler relief valve pipe ?

I've never seen a Phase 3 leak on the outside of the tank itself , but anything's possible .
This discussion has been closed.