Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Millivolt Gas valve questions

Options
bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
Instructing a home owner by e-mail to retrofit a gas system could possibly be a bit on the risky side, no Tim ?? hope all goes well or there could be a new parking lot in that locale.

Comments

• Ted_17
    Ted_17 Member Posts: 5
    Options

I have a boiler with a millivolt system. There is no pilot light safety cut off if the pilot fails. The pilot is fed directly from a small gas line and valve. I want to have the safety of the cut off. Should the valve be replaced with another millivolt system valve or move to a 24v based system?
    Any insight and suggestions on ways to get this done would be appreciated.

The boiler is an American Standard 144,000 btu installed in 1971. The current gas valve is a General Controls B60.

Thanks Ted. Homeowner
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Options
    Gas valves

A Basco safety control was use to shut down to the pilot for many years . If you can retro fit it , I don't know . But converting it to 24 volt is an option.
  • MPF
    MPF Member Posts: 50
    Options
    A/S must...

have a retro kit?
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Depends

Ted, you didn't say what kind of system you have. If you have steam or gravity hot water you may want to keep the millivolt system. In the event of a power failure you would still have heat. If that is not a concern and if it was mine I would convert to 24v. Any good service man could do the conversion with generic parts.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    37 y/o boiler

At what point will you be considering replacing this boiler?
  • Ted_17
    Options

It is a steam system. Power is not a concern, but I do like the heat not being interrupted if there is a power outage. I live in NJ and we lost power for two plus days during the last grid fiasco. Is there a cost difference between the parts for a millivolt system vs the 24 volt?

The boiler has the pilot light anyway, so might as well use it for the millivolt. I usually do my own maintenance and work.

Thanks, Ted.
  • Ted_17
    Options

Want to replace it in the next three years.

Ted
  • MPF
    Options
    yea,

Give A/S a call and see if they have a millivolt retro kit for it. If what your describing is a "B" valve for the pilot (usually the handle looks like a "B" ) those became obsolete years ago so A/S should have developed a kit to replace them. It will most likely involve replacing the gas valve. Good luck!
  • bob young
    Options

SID HARVEY SUPPLY IS GOOD WITH RETRO FIT KITS
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    You won't find it at American-Standard

they sold their boiler line in 1971 or thereabouts, to Burnham.

Honeywell, White-Rodgers and I believe Robertshaw make and sell upgrade kits for converting standing-pilot boilers to electric ignition. Installing one of these is a job for a pro, but it might be what you're looking for.

These kits include a new gas valve, ignitor that mounts on the pilot bracket, ignition/control module and other items to complete the job. These parts are approved to be installed and to work together as a retrofit.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • MPF
    Options
    Shoulda known...

A/S sold out, wasn't sure. Do any of those folks make millivolt retros? Maybe give Burnham a call then?
  • Ted_17
    Options

Thanks all for your responses, I will check those manufacturers.
  • MPF
    Options
    Hire a pro...

so you don't blow yourself up. It can happen!
  • Arthur
    Arthur Member Posts: 216
    Options
    Pilot safety

Are you sure the thermopile doesn't also ack as a safety cut off.
    Do you have to hold the valve in for 30+ seconds to hold the pilot before it will hold in on it;s own?
    I know several systems were the thermopile does this. and also supplies power to open and close the main gas on thermostat call?
  • Ted sorry I was not around

at the beginning of this posting to help you out. I was taking a much-needed vacation.

The General Controls B-60 valve is not a 100% shut off valve. The gas for the pilot is feed directly to the pilot from a small valve mounted on the gas line called a "B" valve (the larger valve which shuts off all other flow of gas is called and "A" valve). If the pilot goes out there will be some gas escaping from the pilot and because natural gas is lighter than air it will rise and dissipate out the flue. When the pilot goes out the source of "millivolts" is stopped due to the thermopile generator cooling down this will prevent the valve coil from opening and the system is safely shut down with the exception of the pilot gas.

The B-60 valve can be replaced by a 100% shut off version from any of the manufacturers of gas valves. An example is Honeywell VS820 powerpile gas valve.

Remove the existing valve after shutting of the gas. Removed the "B" valve and plug the hole with a threaded plug. Cut the pilot tubing to fit the pilot gas outlet on the new gas valve and attach the tubing nut to the tubing and screw it into the pilot gas outlet on the valve. Attach the pilot generator leads to PP on the valve and the control wires to TH terminals and soap all fittings looking for gas leaks. Relight the pilot and you should be all set.
  • Bob, I felt MPF

had already warned him about that. I was just trying to help him to know what can be done. When I post these answers here it is not an e-mail situation. I do however always get in touch with homeowners off the wall by private e-mail and often get them to call me.

You are correct however this is not something a non professional sghould be attempting. Thanks for the heads up Bob.
  • MPF
    Options
    I have,,,

memories of a major loss of eyebrows trying to set up a retro fit many years ago, although I was going from standing pilot to electronic on a big ol' monster. Can we talk delayed ignition? ;)

The scary part was having to go back in there and make it work right afterwards, while I was still just a little shaky. LOL...

If he doesn't get his pilot position right, he may share the experience.
  • bob young
    Options
    learn respect for GAS

YEP, Even a seasoned pro can cause an explosion. **** happens. an amatuer working on gas is total insanity. ya just gotta respect gas. thats it. THANK THE lORD YOU DIDN'T GET KILLED. thase mini explosions usually set a plumber straight. i had a blow back twenty years ago & remember it like it was yesterday. f**CK THAT.
  • Ted_17
    Options

Thank You for your response Tim. I understand I should have a qualified professional perform the work, and install the parts you refered to in your response.
  • MPF
    Options
    Yup,,,

This was about 20 years ago so I was over ten years in the field then and still learning the hard way. ;)

And yes, I can still remember it, it had burner tubes and I likened it to looking straight down the exhaust of an operating jet engine. And all it was was about 3 seconds of delay between main gas on and KAWOOMPH!! and I was back about 4 ft on my you know what. It was a big mama. Learned a quick lesson that day about getting too close to look inside when things don't fire right away.
This discussion has been closed.