Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

difference in fuel oils?

Options
burnerman_2
burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
most times fuel oil is the same but some company's add an additive after market as we do to improve qualily and we have a service dept. 24/7 that gives piece of mind to our customers you get what you pay for if you save a few cents you may not be happy and on the age of oil i have heard of customers with big tanks getting once every 5 years and they had no trouble

Comments

• Hollis
    Hollis Member Posts: 105
    Options
    differencesin fuel oils?

Are there differences in fuel oils?I see various different quotes on prices. Is there cheap grades and the better grades cost more? OR is there just a difference on the deals THEY get(local oil dealers) on oil contracts? and there profit margins/operating costs?
  • rene_3
    rene_3 Member Posts: 21
    Options

While we're on the subject, will fuel oil go bad just sitting in a tank? I shut my furnace off. I'm using pellets to heat the house and solar for my domestic hot water with a tankless propane heater as a back-up for the solar in the dead of winter. I'm leaving then oil system in tact just in case I need it. My 275 gal tank is about half full. My tank is in the basement.
  • Keith_8
    Keith_8 Member Posts: 399
    Options
    stability of the fuel

It sounds as if the likelyhood of using oil this year is remote for you. I would add some fuel oil treatment to what you have stored in your basement tank and replace the filter, strainer,nozzle now for use in the future.

As far as pricing goes, it's a difficult and personal decision.

Regarding fule oil quality, with the exception of an aftermarket additive that some dealers use it's all the same product. BTW, the fuel oil additives are worth it in my opinion.

Pricing is a tough subject and every fuel oil dealer is structured differently so their pricing structure varies.

Geography has an influence on options/pricing as well. I had a conversation with a farmer in upstate NY over the weekend about expectations of the locals regarding their fuel oil dealer. Quote "The little guys are all gone, they just couldn't compete and now its just 1 or 2 big companies and we are stuck with what they give us".

Where I'm located the phone book is loaded with fuel oil dealers and competition is fierce. Some companies have folded becuase of fraud or mismanagement. Choose wisely and be wary of prepay options. Some of these companies will not be around in a year or 2.

Keith
This discussion has been closed.