Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler sizing

Options
http://www.burnham.com/PDF/MEGAST~2.PDF

it looks like you'd lose at least 1-1/2" on each side by removing the jacket. The only hitch would be the tankless coil flange, which sticks out quite a bit.

Maybe someone who has a MegaSteam could measure the section width?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Tim_64
    Tim_64 Member Posts: 76
    Options
    Sizing a Steam Boiler

I noticed a thread about this topic a few days ago, cant find it by searching, and dont know how to view the archives. Anyhow...

My home has been heated by oil/steam for the last 70 or so years. The Boiler was a 2 Series National Boiler (Radiator) which I am upgrading. The boiler leaked, the doors didn't close tightly anymore. This should have been replaced years ago.... So I went a bit medieval on the boiler with my sledge and reduced it a a broken pile of iron ready for disposal.

Ive calculated the sf equivalents of all the radiators and come up with 330sf.

The house is small, about 1100 sf. Also the basement is qurter basement/crawlspace.

I plan on getting a Weil-Mclain SGO-3 or 4 boiler as a replacement. Are there other more efficient oil/steam boilers out there? Also I may get the -4 because I plan on adding an extension to the house and might need the extra capacity. How will the -4 perform in the meantime?

Also whichever boilers you may suggest, it needs to top vent, again due to the exisiting condition in the basement...

Thanks in advance
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    which steamer?

You've selected the best in my book. If your claculations are correct, you are very close already to the capacity of the SGO 3. If you have plans to expand, go with the 4, or you can always add sections later. Very easy to do with the Weil...you just need the sections and a new jacket. I do admit I like what the Burnham megasteam looks like and sounds like, but with Burnhams history of problems with sections failure, I'd give it a few years before betting such a big investment on. I've installed hundreds of Weil boiler with virtually no major issues.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    If there's a possibility

you may switch to gas at some point, I'd use the Smith 8 series. It is factory-approved for either oil (Beckett, Carlin or Riello burners if memory serves) or the Carlin EZ-Gas burner. This would mean you would not need to buy a new boiler to switch fuels. The 4-section 8 series is good for 413 square feet EDR on oil or gas.

If there's no gas in your future, I'd go with the MegaSteam. It is far and away the best-designed residential steamer out there, and one result of this is that it's much easier to service than any other residential steamer. Plus it's guaranteed against corrosion for something like 5 years- no one else makes that guarantee. Your system would need the MST396, based on your EDR info.

When Burnham gets around to offering a gas option for the MegaSteam, we'll use it on gas too.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tim_64
    Tim_64 Member Posts: 76
    Options
    Steam boiler.

I'm on the fence regarding going with gas. Last year I replaced my old oil tank with new, not sure if I want to abandon that investment so soon.

Also Im interested in the Megasteam, however Im not able to get any info from Burnham regarding the size of the core w/o the jacket on. The door to my basement is only 20in wide. (called Burnham and they were less than helpful!!)

And I dont know if the venting one the Megasteam will be able to work given the constraints of my basement.

I've attached two pics showing the old boiler and basement layout. If having two changes in direction of the vent pipe, then a run horizontal run of about eight feet is acceptable before reaching the chimney I may chose the Burnham (If I can get it in the house.)
This discussion has been closed.