Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Options for Chimney that is too small for liner?

Options
kpc_31
kpc_31 Member Posts: 3
liner can you get in there? Contact a chimney sweep for another opinion...
Another option is to power vent into a lined chimney...contact the boiler mfg. to see... kpc

Comments

• Mike Kehoe_6
    Mike Kehoe_6 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Options for Chimney too small for liner? Downsize boiler?

I have a one-pipe, natural gas steam boiler. Based on edr calculations, I need a replacement boiler with a IBR rating of 630 sq. feet. I have a large house in upstate NY with large radiators. The brick chimney is unlined. My boiler pro says that we need a flue liner that is at least 7" for the new boiler. My chimney pro has examined the chimney, which is massive, and says that he does not think that he can get even a 6" liner through. We have considered power venting, but have decided against it, because of the location of the boiler and limited options for the exit pipe. The solution offered by my boiler pro is to run a new steel pipe chimney up the side of my house. I could live with that, but I just think that has to be another way. I wondering if I can downsize the radiation load so that we could use a smaller boiler, but if we cant get even a 6" liner through, that doesn't seem to be an option. Any ideas?
  • Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684
    Options

You could try doing a heat loss on the house to see if the radiators you currently have are too big for the house. (Esspecially if youve insulated, weather stripped, new windows, etc...)

You may be able to swap for some smaller radiators to bring your EDR down.

There is a supply house here in MA that has a ton of used steam and hot water radiators that you can trade for, Im not sure if you may have something like that where you live in NY, but the heat loss versus the current radiators is a simple calculation that may give you some more info to make a decision.

Good Luck

PS.
    If you have to run a new stainless chimney on the outside,.. Please enclose it with siding to match the house.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.